»

Advice needed on rent - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Advice needed on rent

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
44 replies 2.4K views
245

Replies

  • edited 18 October 2019 at 9:06PM
    calcotticalcotti
    4.8K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 October 2019 at 9:06PM
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    Doctor won't give him a fit note as can hardly walk with his mobility problem and has recently had a heart attack and has stents fitted.

    A Fit Note is a the official term for what should more logically be called a sick note, it confirms that he is too ill to work. The full name is a Statement of Fitness for Work
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    There's no middle rate care for PIP, it's Standard or Enhanced.

    Thats what I meant. Enhanced for mobility and standard care he receives.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    A Fit Note is a the official term for what should more logically be called a sick note, it confirms that he is too ill to work. The full name is a Statement of Fitness for Work


    He was already in the support group of esa but now hes due his state pension he's not entitled to it now hence him having to take his sp.
  • calcotticalcotti
    4.8K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    He was already in the support group of esa but now hes due his state pension he's not entitled to it now hence him having to take his sp.

    We understand that. You need to both claim UC with him having a Fit Note and he then needs to be reassessed. Unfortunately his ESA Support Group status cannot be transferred across because there has been a break between the end of the ESA and the UC claim. Hopefully he will be confirmed as having LCWRA and you will get the extra £320/month in the fourth month.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    We understand that. You need to both claim UC with him having a Fit Note and he then needs to be reassessed. Unfortunately his ESA Support Group status cannot be transferred across because there has been a break between the end of the ESA and the UC claim. Hopefully he will be confirmed as having LCWRA and you will get the extra £320/month in the fourth month.

    I really don't understand this as I was told he wouldn't be entitled to uc as hes a pensioner on a state pension and I wouldn't be entitled to uc either due to having carers allowance. Looks like I'm not even entitled to rent help according to council now.
  • Does this mean my partner will have his state pension removed from him? if we could claim uc?
  • calcotticalcotti
    4.8K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    Does this mean my partner will have his state pension removed from him? if we could claim uc?
    No. ......
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • edited 18 October 2019 at 10:06PM
    calcotticalcotti
    4.8K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 October 2019 at 10:06PM
    rosey-789 wrote: »
    I really don't understand this as I was told he wouldn't be entitled to uc as hes a pensioner on a state pension and I wouldn't be entitled to uc either due to having carers allowance. Looks like I'm not even entitled to rent help according to council now.
    The rent help is part of UC. You have a maximum UC entitlement, including help with rent, as described in my previous posts. However your husband’s pension and your Carer’s Allowance is taken into account as income and deducted from the UC. At the moment your income is too high for you to immediately get UC. However if your husband gets a Fit Note and you claim UC and he is found to have LCWRA then the maximum UC amount will increase above your income and you will become entitled to a monthly UC payment from the fourth month. I have explained this to the best of my ability in the previous posts.

    Claiming UC will not stop any of your existing income (pension, Carer’s and PIP).

    The advice you were previously given has, in my opinion, overlooked the potential to increase the UC entitlement by getting the LCWRA element (although this is not guaranteed).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    The rent help is part of UC. You have a maximum UC entitlement, including help with rent, as described in my previous posts. However your husband’s pension and your Carer’s Allowance is taken into account as income and deducted from the UC. At the moment your income is too high for you to immediately get UC. However if your husband gets a Fit Note and you claim UC and he is found to have LCWRA then the maximum UC amount will increase above your income and you will become entitled to a monthly UC payment from the fourth month. I have explained this to the best of my ability in the previous posts.

    Claiming UC will not stop any of your existing income (pension, Carer’s and PIP).


    Ah so if he goes and sees his doctor and gets this fit note before I make a uc claim which is better to do as it will then increase it. I've done a benefit check and it states this.

    £78.02 / weekly
    Our estimate is based on the information you have entered and does not guarantee entitlement. It uses
    19/20 benefit and tax rates.
    This amount is made up of the following benefits.

    Universal Credit
    £0.00 / weekly
    On the basis of the data entered you are not entitled to Universal Credit. We estimate your
    monthly Universal Credit will be £0.00.

    Carers Allowance
    £66.15 / weekly
    Client Carer's Allowance entered by user. For more information see Result page.

    Council Tax Support
    £11.87 / weekly
    Your full Council Tax bill of £23.73 per week will be reduced to £11.87 per week because of
    your entitlement to Council Tax Support. The amount you get can be affected by other benefits.
    We have included the amounts we have calculated for Carer's Allowance (£66.15 per week).
  • edited 19 October 2019 at 11:17AM
    calcotticalcotti
    4.8K posts
    Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 October 2019 at 11:17AM
    I don’t know what the £78.02 you have quoted refers to.

    When you do a benefits check you need to put in that your husband has LCWRA (even though this will not be paid for the first three months). This will change the result.

    This is my manual calculation

    Standard allowance. £498.89
    Housing element £342.33 (assuming you are entitled to £79/week*)
    LCWRA element £336.20
    Carer element £160.20
    Maximum UC = £1,337.62

    Income
    Pension £728 (£168/week)
    Carer’s Allowance £286.65 (£66.15/week)
    Total income = £1,014.65

    UC payable = £1,337.62 - £1,014.65 = £322.97

    You will have 3 months of nil entitlement and then receive this amount from the fourth month. This is enough to cover almost all of your rent. * Note I have assumed full entitlement to help with your rent at £79/week. This may not be the case if you have a spare bedroom and are subject to 'bedroom tax'.

    I cannot manually work out whether you have entitlement to help with Council Tax but think you will be entitled.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms