Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 10th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    • 204Posts
    • 86Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share cashback on a shared bill with my housemates?
    • 10th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share cashback on a shared bill with my housemates? 10th Sep 19 at 3:07 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I've sorted the bills out for my student house and, thanks to my own initiative, got £120 cashback on our broadband bill. Should I share it or keep it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 10th Sep 19, 3:44 PM
    • 5,941 Posts
    • 27,839 Thanks
    thorsoak
    • 10th Sep 19, 3:44 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 3:44 PM
    Why would you not share with them? Were I your co-tenant, and I found out later that you had kept a cash-back to yourself, to "reward" your business acumen, then I would be looking for another flat-sharer.
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 10th Sep 19, 5:16 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    • 10th Sep 19, 5:16 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 5:16 PM
    I think you should tell the others about it. Perhaps rather than sharing it out it would be fun to use it collectively for a blinding night out sometime?
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 10th Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 10th Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    Wasn't this topic raised the other week?
    • jaizan
    • By jaizan 10th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jaizan
    • 10th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    If they generally share in the household chores, behave well and so on, then you should probably share it. Friendship & principles are more important than £120.

If they won't lift a finger and leave you doing everything, then of course you might just hang onto it as you are probably already looking to move out and find some new flat mates ?
    • dw1
    • By dw1 10th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    dw1
    • 10th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    Based on personal experience, you shouldn’t tell them about it yet. Hold onto it until the end of the year, then share it with whichever housemates (if any) paid you the bills on time and in full.

Consider it a deposit for when one of your housemates forgets to pay you then ‘conveniently’ changes their phone number immediately after moving out.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 10th Sep 19, 8:51 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    REJP
    • 10th Sep 19, 8:51 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 8:51 PM
    Presumably you all contribute to the cost of broadband, so you share the savings.
    Hardly rocket science is it? What is the dilemma here please?
    • Angri
    • By Angri 10th Sep 19, 9:02 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Angri
    • 10th Sep 19, 9:02 PM
    • 10th Sep 19, 9:02 PM
    FFS - - Treat others as you would wish them to treat you!
    • mwf862
    • By mwf862 10th Sep 19, 9:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mwf862
    • 10th Sep 19, 9:06 PM
    Keep it... for a party
    • 10th Sep 19, 9:06 PM
    Keep a track of it each month and throw a surprise party 🥳🍾🎈🎉 with the cashback!!
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 10th Sep 19, 9:57 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Absolutely not. The Cashback from Utility Bills regulations 2013 clearly state that the name of the person on the account from which payment is made is entitled to 100% of the cashback, if payment is made by direct debit.

Beware of para 5(j).3.7.21 however which states different conditions for more than 4 people in the property if one of them is female and under 21.
    • neilmorgan
    • By neilmorgan 10th Sep 19, 10:39 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    neilmorgan
    Based on personal experience, you shouldnít tell them about it yet. Hold onto it until the end of the year, then share it with whichever housemates (if any) paid you the bills on time and in full.

Consider it a deposit for when one of your housemates forgets to pay you then Ďconvenientlyí changes their phone number immediately after moving out.
    Originally posted by dw1
    This is a frequent problem for anyone trying to manage bills for a group of people. I totally agree about keeping it as a deposit but if any of the others find out before the end of contract they might still get upset. If you tell them they won't be too worried about paying the bill & rely on the "deposit"
    • onlymeat 27
    • By onlymeat 27 11th Sep 19, 6:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    onlymeat 27
    Cashback dilemma
    If you have done all the work and have the necessary proof to show them, then yes I would say you are entitled to keep the cashback. If the others cannot be bothered to put themselves out then why not, BUT, you are probably going to get a lot of stick. I'd say stand up to them if you are prepared for long silences!!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Sep 19, 6:29 AM
    • 23,338 Posts
    • 63,011 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Why would you not share with them? Were I your co-tenant, and I found out later that you had kept a cash-back to yourself, to "reward" your business acumen, then I would be looking for another flat-sharer.
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    This ^^^^.

Shame on you for even thinking about not sharing.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 11th Sep 19, 7:09 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    I wouldnít feel any obligation, donít even tell them about it.

For one thing, by the time the cash back actually clears and gets paid to you (if it ever does), you might not even be in that house anymore! It can take ages or get rejected for no reason quite frequently.

For another, having the bills in your name is a huge responsibility and risk. Loads of students before you have found itís caused them problems in the past. Youíve used your own initiative and savviness to get yourself a perk and a bit of compo for being the one who is taking on the hassle and the risk. If itís a 12 month tenancy thatís only £10 a month for your trouble, and itís not like itís their money, you arenít taking it from them.

Next year, have one bill in each personís name so youíre all on the hook!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Sep 19, 7:20 AM
    • 9,962 Posts
    • 34,315 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Why miss a chance to teach them about the joys of cash back sites & deals?

They may not know - be the nicer person & teach & share...
    They may pass on this knowledge to their families & friends - start a virtuous cycle!
    • Cimscate
    • By Cimscate 11th Sep 19, 7:50 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Cimscate
    You probably should but
    I assume the deal you got still benefits everyone without the cashback? If so then I'd keep it, if not share it.
    • KateRd
    • By KateRd 11th Sep 19, 8:02 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    KateRd
    Of course you should - don’t even ask - if it was a £120 bill you’d certainly share that!
    • VikEw
    • By VikEw 11th Sep 19, 8:35 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    VikEw
    Share it of course- even 'bank it' up in a kitty and have a night out at the end of the year- but it is not yours, it is everyone who pays the bill.
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 11th Sep 19, 9:43 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    gaving7095
    Wow this has actually somewhat divided opinions, for once :-)
    As others have said, I would keep it as it could be handy if somebody fails to pay their share of any of the shared bills (which I'd be surprised if you've NOT taken responsibility for all of).
    Also sorting out shared bills can be a real hassle, if it was me I could see myself feeling that I'd earned it. If a shared bill in your name goes unpaid for any reason the unpleasant debt-collection or credit rating ramifications will likely fall immediately upon just you.
    I can honestly say as well that if I was one of the contributors I'd say "keep it" - provided you hadn't earned it by deliberately putting us all onto an expensive or bad deal.
    I wouldn't pay for a party or night out with it because that, in my view, becomes the same as spending somebody else's money with a view to making yourself feel better.
    My main consideration would probably be how high the chances are of one of the contributors finding out about it afterwards and the hell that would likely bring.
    • VT82
    • By VT82 11th Sep 19, 9:55 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    VT82
    The broadband provider would have been able to offer a cheaper rate without the cashback. That's probably how the offer with the cashback came up when the OP (yeah yeah, I know!) looked through the best buy tables in the first place - because the 'equivalent monthly cost factoring in the cashback' came out cheapest.

The OP wouldn't have done anything clever to get the cashback. If the provider can offer a big cashback for a given monthly cost, the monthly cost without getting cashback must be a bad rate that only a fool would pay.

For that reason, I think the cashback is part of the cost, albeit a rebate on the cost, and morally belongs to everyone who pays the bill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter