PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do you cook in your airfryer?

Options

Comments

• Gintotmelinda
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies
    It is a halogen oven.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Salt and pepper tofu ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    Salt and pepper tofu sounds delicious. Any chance of posting the recipe?

Thanls

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    I’m also interested in this salt and pepper tofu recipe too please. :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies
    It is a halogen oven.

Gintot
    In that case you can cook in the usual way, or stick anything from the freezer in it. My Dad uses his at least 4 times a week, and I have not even used mine (purchased at least 7 years ago!) once :o

I did try to make scones in Dad's once and they did not turn out well. I suspect the error was mine and not the oven's. I'm sure there is a thread about halogen ovens somewhere on OS.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • So ive had two airfryers. I firstly had mh phillips airfryers which i had for a year and was used once or twice a day. We have a huge range iven and it was stupid putting it on to make one mini pizza so the airfryer saves on gas and its not too expensive on leccy.

I know switched to the power airfryer which is the same price...is easier to clean and comes with a few extra things to help you when cooking.

As said before anything that can be ovencooked can be cooked in the airfryer.

I have used it to make grilled chicked with fried chicken coating and mini chicken skewers too. I love experimenting.

Best of all its safe enough for my 10 year old to use so she can use it to make a quick snack for herself and her siblings when im not feeling great
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 September 2019 at 2:57PM
    Options
    Generally (not here in particular) there does seem to be a bit of confusion or misinformation with what is an "air fryer" or a "halogen" and I have seen people mix them up.

Disclaimer before I go further: I have neither and never have!

I'm excluding these 'treat/sandwich' type makers although they would be ideal for a few things too in some cases (things not intended to go into them!) , I want to discuss those later actually as I have a few thoughts to share. :)

Air fryer is just that, no light it is more or less a hot air heater I suppose, no visible heating elements. Can make a bit of noise.

Halogen are the ones that light up usually very bright!

I think both have advantages and disadvantages.

Some of the air fryers just have a basket and some have a paddle, one well known one at least. Now I wanted to mention something I learned a year or so ago about this 'brand' and its positive:

Apparently you are not meant to use it without the paddle, but there are obviously a couple of sizes of the machine. There is or was at one point a snacking type one that had a grid instead from what I understand, this might not of been sold in the UK. :)

Now the interesting thing here is some enterprising people discovered that the 'grid' was available as a spare part (expected!) and would actually fit one or more of the UK models, so you could remove the paddle and use it that way with the 'grid' instead even though as far as I am aware at least this was not a "supported" option as it was not intended for those models.

I think the manufacturer now may offer a grid or something for these having realised there might be a demand ? But I've not checked on it...

I do note the cheaper models that are in the usual places, I say cheaper as in 20-40 rather than 80-150 ( !) but the former is a lot for me anyway, some models certainly one manufacturer and model did not sell said model on their own site, and it took ages to find a manual for it, merely out of curiosity. Not saying there is anything amiss with that, it was almost as if the 'model' was made for said 'usual places' somehow. It was one of the types with a pull out drawer, although there are a lot of those about now of various brands I know.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the advice above AndyCF, I didn't realise that the two are the same thing. Talk about being sucked in by the marketing!
    I know switched to the power airfryer which is the same price...is easier to clean and comes with a few extra things to help you when cooking.
    Presumably the energy consumption is higher than the first one you bought?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice above AndyCF, I didn't realise that the two are the same thing. Talk about being sucked in by the marketing!Presumably the energy consumption is higher than the first one you bought?

Hope it does help. As I say I do not own or have owned either. :)

But I *have* seen (not here, generally) some say they have an air fryer and when you actually see it, it is a halogen 'thing' , the last one I saw was the one you see advertised or did see quite a bit on early morning 'teleshop' type tv, with the hinged lid with the bulb in, it looks a bit like a giant wide diameter glass tube.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have the halogen one. It is big and very bright and has stand things inside so you could have 3 layers of food. I bought it as i can't bend to get stuff out of my oven as i have compression fractures in my back.I only got it last week but have cooked every meal in it since including a casserole. Haven't baked in it yet but will try that soon. It came with a booklet which isn't very clear and a cookery book with nothing in it i would eat so i am still learning.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback