PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do you cook in your airfryer?

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes one review said it's the same as the Cookworks one, too. It does come with some kind of stand for the lid, but I'm not sure what it is.

I *think* the stand is either like a small wire rack or something along those lines simpy so you can put the potentially "hot lid" down, facing down without it damaging or contacting the working surface/table/other area. If you think of a wire-rack type draining board but flat and upside down, difficult to explain!

I think both the removable lid type as above and the hinge ones have advantages and disadvantages. As I see it from just observation not from using:

The removable lid type has an advantage of it coming right off so you have a lot more 'working space' to deal with the content of the cooker. The disadvantage aside from space to put said lid is it might be a tad heavy or awkward to move.

The hinged lid type has the advantage of not needing any more work space as it just swings out the way. The disadvantage is it still is slightly in the way of you in that it is still attached. I was concerned about it being heavy and high up on the appliance vs weight distribution vs toppling but I've never heard of this happening ever, and they would of thought about that during design too.

:) Personal preference I think. Or what is available at the time at a sane price and if its the right size / shape for what is required of it.
  • ^ Yes I think I prefer the idea of the lid being totally removable for ease of access and cleaning. Just hope I avoid the burnt forearms when taking i off!
    Hi Coffeehound. That's the one I bought. We ate gradually getting used to it.

Gintot

Hi Gintot, so it takes some getting used to? I guess they are not like any other cooking appliance. Can't wait to receive mine now :)
  • AndyCF
    Forumite
    edited 16 September 2019 at 3:21PM
    Mentioning this 'slight confusion' on Halogen vs Air, I was in BM earlier today and they had an 'air fryer' (well they have lots of different ones obviously) but this was a 'well known athlete branded' one it seemed. Said athlete was knighted in 2017.

The thing is although the box was on the top shelf so out of reach and I only gave it a passing glance , it looked like a Halogen with a completely clear glass 'container' , but it said 'Air Fryer' on the box! The online description actually lists it as an air fryer 'blast of hot air' so now I am confused! Upon inspection of the online pics it migt well be an air fryer its difficult to say and the description I'd not want to rely on, likely being a copy/paste affair from the manufacturers blurb type descriptor. Mind you it was reduced to 29 so not a bad price. Hmm.

EDIT... Perhaps a pic might assist:

50I8aCG.gif
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    AndyCF wrote: »
    EDIT... Perhaps a pic might assist:

50I8aCG.gif
    Looks like a halogen oven to me!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • AndyCF
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Looks like a halogen oven to me!
    That's the thing its confusing! Looks like a halogen! It might well be. Kind of thing where you need to 'se inside the box' really.

Not sure on posting link rules ( ? ) however if you go to BM and add this to the URL:

/products/mo-health-low-fat-air-fryer-340599

That way I'm not posting the link either!
  • Not read the replies so don’t know if I'm relevant here.

I have an actifry and use it regularly. I use it mainly to do my version of a chicken fried rice which is lovely. Basically dice the chicken, pour on some sesame oil (probably half the green spoon), a tbsp of Chinese 5 spice and a tsp of white pepper. Cook for 24 mins. Meanwhile chop 2 peppers, some spring onions, 2 chillies, and a couple of cloves of garlic. You can also use any other ‘fridge gravel’ you might want to use up. When the chicken has finished cooking, pour in 2 packs of micro rice (or the equivalent ‘loose’ cooked rice), all of the veg, garlic and chillies. Then pour a little more sesame oil on and a good glug of soy sauce. Cook for a further 9 minutes and serve. Serves 2/3 people as a main (2 if hungry) and more if used as a side.

Fajitas are also good. Chicken in with the fajita spices and a spoon of oil. Cook for 24 minutes. Meanwhile chop onion and peppers. When chicken is cooked add onions and peppers and a bit more oil then cook again for 9 minutes. I serve just in wraps with sour cream.

I also do roast potatoes and parsnips (although I finish off in the oven). Chips. I also get curly fries from the supermarket now and then to have with homemade burgers...and find they cook lovely in there.

I also love chicken drumsticks, diced chicken and oil to make the kids their own fajitas (basically just the chicken in wraps with lettuce :rotfl:).

My timings are based on my actifry that I’ve had for years so you may need to play around. Having said that, so will I, as I’ve just upgraded to a 2 in 1!!
  • That's really helpful. I did sweet-and-sour chicken in the Actifry last night, loosely following a Nigella recipe - it was ok but I think I over cooked it a little as I'm still unsure on timings. The chicken fried rice sounds lovely.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • AndyCF
    Forumite
    My only thought really is always better a bit overdone than a bit underdone.

As I was once told "if unsure, give it a bit more" (as in longer) :)

Mind you I do sometimes like things well 'overdone' anyway.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Salt and pepper tofu sounds delicious. Any chance of posting the recipe?

Thanls

Gintot
    I’m also interested in this salt and pepper tofu recipe too please. :)
    Hey sorry you two, didn't see you had replied. Basically I just drain the tofu and dry as best as I can, cut up into chunky oblongs and dip in oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Much like making facon, but much thicker chunks as opposed to strips ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    AndyCF wrote: »
    Mentioning this 'slight confusion' on Halogen vs Air, I was in BM earlier today and they had an 'air fryer' (well they have lots of different ones obviously) but this was a 'well known athlete branded' one it seemed. Said athlete was knighted in 2017.

50I8aCG.gif
    That's the one I have, and it's billed as an air fryer and halogen cooker (and steamer apparently), so I assumed that they just worked similar lol!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback