C Drive losing space

Options

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Kronkis wrote: »
    My guess that you don't update Windows very often?
    I didn't want to guess, as i made 2 points and wondered which one was troubling them. Turns out is was both.

EveryWhere wrote: »

I don't install the updates often as

a) I don't like auto updates. Got stung by one once and couldn't remove the bloody thing so had to format the hard drive. Ever since then i install manually ...
    b) i just have a bad habit of forgetting to do it regularly

I have no intention of moving to Windows 10 as i don't like the look of it, simple as that really. I'm happy with Windows 7. 10 looks better than 8 but 7 is still better.
    Now i'm perfectly happy with this and understand there'll be those who love Windows 10 so much that they feel it their duty to try and force it on you. I'm happy using Windows 7 though.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 August 2019 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Windows 7 support is about to end(Jan 14 2020) ... How long will you continue being happy afterwards?
    Oh and about updates and getting stung did you not have current backups of a running system?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't want to guess, as i made 2 points and wondered which one was troubling them. Turns out is was both.

I don't install the updates often as

a) I don't like auto updates. Got stung by one once and couldn't remove the bloody thing so had to format the hard drive. Ever since then i install manually ...

I have no intention of moving to Windows 10 as i don't like the look of it, simple as that really. I'm happy with Windows 7. 10 looks better than 8 but 7 is still better.
    Now i'm perfectly happy with this and understand there'll be those who love Windows 10 so much that they feel it their duty to try and force it on you. I'm happy using Windows 7 though.

As stated, support is ending, so it's a matter of practicality.
    I too was one who was reluctant to move. Waited a couple of years before trying it out.

The look of it is such a superficial reason, especially since most of the everyday function takes place in much the same way.
    Browsers, Windows Explorer.
    Just set it up properly on install.

But the benefits outweigh the negatives. When you install Windows 10, it is unlikely you will need to look for nor install any extra Drivers.
    You can also more easily recover the operating system, without affecting your applications and data.
    With Windows 10 Pro, you can defer Updates. So you have more control over that.

So don't allow stubbornness to override intelligence. Look at the objectivity, not the subjectivity of the issue.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apps and programs are available to make Windows 10 look more like Windows 7 if its cosmetics that are stopping you.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    It’s a bit like when religious people bang on about their religion and try force it on you.

You can believe in your God, whoever that is. It does me no harm. I’m happy not being religious in the slightest though and I don’t go around telling everyone - come on really, show me some actual evidence your God exists outside of your head.

Regards the back ups point - we’re going back a good few years with the statement I made - before the days where I backed up.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I

Does that also apply to backups ? Seems you have your head in the sand when it comes to W7 support ending
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    It’s a bit like when religious people bang on about their religion and try force it on you.

You can believe in your God, whoever that is. It does me no harm. I’m happy not being religious in the slightest though and I don’t go around telling everyone - come on really, show me some actual evidence your God exists outside of your head.

Regards the back ups point - we’re going back a good few years with the statement I made - before the days where I backed up.

I just gave you a few reasons as to why you should consider it and also admitted to having a similar mindset in the past.

But you are so stuck in your ways, that intelligent thought does not even enter the equation for you.

If at least you discussed the points that i gave, I could give your arguments some credence. But instead you repeat the same nonsense about religion.

Which is exactly the kind of behaviour that you criticise. Someone who has a belief, but with absolutely no tangible reason for having it.

Get it?

So if you want to be taken seriously, come back with tangible reasons and the experienced will give you the actual pros and cons.

You seem to have made some mad assumption that we are all fans and want to force everyone else on to it, but you are wrong.
    Many waited for years, including myself, before trying it out. Even with that, I still have the ability to go back to Windows 7 whenever I want.
    It's not as if you are compelled to stay on Windows 10, if after trying it out for a while, that for some reason you really don't like it.

The difference between you and I, is that not only can I drive a car, but also a motorbike and ride a bicycle.....

Not some 'Luddite' that states that they refuse to ride anything other than a bicycle, because those new fangled things with motors are the devil's work...or some such.

So my dear JustAnotherSaver, it is you who appears to be the religious one.

No one cares whether you move or not. Certainly not I.

I just give advice on practicalities. It's not as if you refused to move to an SSD because HDDs still work, now is it?
    So your argument that it looks different just seems weak.
    What about if, just like moving to SSD from HDD, that it is simply better?

How would you know? Held back, simply because of your religious beliefs. ;)

You can buy a cheap SSD and install Windows 10 to it, leaving your Windows 7 install intact on the Samsung. Costs a mere £16 for an SSD. The benefit it that you can install Windows 10 Pro for free and give it some extensive testing, Then one can actually discuss the pros and cons.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I don’t have time for a full reply as I’m on my phone and literally have a couple mins left on my break.

But the bit you put in bold. I’d suggest you re-read as your statement immediately after the bold bit is absolutely 100% incorrect.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I don’t have time for a full reply as I’m on my phone and literally have a couple mins left on my break.

But the bit you put in bold. I’d suggest you re-read as your statement immediately after the bold bit is absolutely 100% incorrect.

That's ok. There's no rush. You can post your reasoned reply when you have time.
    But my reply is based on what you have written.
    You have given no tangible reason other than that you don't like the look of it.
    I have no intention of moving to Windows 10 as i don't like the look of it, simple as that really

So no chance of me misquoting you. Your exact words.

So perhaps best for you to re-read your own statements before replying.

Just like you wrote that a Windows Update destroyed your install and you needed to reinstall your whole OS, I countered that with Windows 10, you can repair that without touching your data and applications.
    But you ignore common sense and just repeat your intangible 'religious' belief.

You also wrote that you often forget to install Updates using your manual process.
    I informed you that you can defer Updates for months, if you wish, using Windows 10 Pro. Until you are sure any bugs have been ironed out.
    You also ignored that in your religious fervour.

So come back with a sensible and intelligent argument. But be aware, that I don't care if you change or not.
    I just like intelligent debate. If you aren't able and the best you can do is "i don't like the look of it, simple as that really", you don't need to bother to reply, as I already understand all that I need to know about your train of thought.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aplogies for hijacking the thread, but I'm currently on Win7 and looking to move to Win10 (and installing as SSD at the same time).
    I currently have Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

What are my options when upgrading to Win10?
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure