What mistakes have you made when reclaiming your PPI? Let’s make sure others don’t fall foul!

Options
Hello Forumites!

The deadline for PPI complaints is drawing closer, and time is of the essence. :money:
Click here for our MSE Urgent Reclaim Guide.

And whilst we know that there are scores of success stories (wahoo!) - here at MSE Towers, we also appreciate that some of you might be feeling anxious about the ticking clock which allows you to get back money you are owed.

So instead, lets turn our negatives into positives! :T What mistakes have you made when reclaiming your PPI over the years? And how did you get around it?

Share them on this thread so we can all make sure that others don’t fall foul of the same errors! Keep it friendly - and lets do our best to help each other over the next few weeks! :beer:

- MSE Molly
9pq8rzqiakm0.png MSE's Academy of Money digital badge

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 August 2019 at 6:10PM
    Options
    The most common mistake is not actually having had any PPI.

The most expensive mistake is using a claims company.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    biggest mistake was not having PPI in the first place!
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    Some of the biggest mistakes that I see, although the list is endless......

Complaints where no PPI was taken
    Complaints relating to mortgages taken out 30 years ago, where an address cannot be remembered but the reasons for mis-sale are as clear as day!
    Complaints using Claims Management companies
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had PPI that it was automatically mis-sold
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • Bearothebear
    Options
    When we took out our mortgage with Halifax in 1982 I remember being asked if we wanted PPI and we said no. We paid most of the mortgage off by 1997, leaving £100 to pay to keep it in deedstore, and I paid that off completely a few years ago. I had no paperwork remaining, but applied for PPI just in case we’d had it. Halifax said we never had it. I’ll never know whether we did or not.
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    When we took out our mortgage with Halifax in 1982 I remember being asked if we wanted PPI and we said no. We paid most of the mortgage off by 1997, leaving £100 to pay to keep it in deedstore, and I paid that off completely a few years ago. I had no paperwork remaining, but applied for PPI just in case we’d had it. Halifax said we never had it. I’ll never know whether we did or not.

You said No. Halifax said No. I would suggest that the answer is quite clear on this one.
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had PPI that it was automatically mis-sold
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had absolutely any kind of insurance that it must "qualify for PPI" and so be automatically mis-sold. ;)
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You said No. Halifax said No. I would suggest that the answer is quite clear on this one.

It wouldn't stop some people referring it to the FOS as they were not getting their compensation.
  • Rubybiker
    Options
    I can't remember if we had it or not, would be going back 30, 40, + years, don't have much paperwork from back then. the only thing we had was payinga monthy amount into bank each month for holiday ins, car breakdown etc. I never knew what this was for for years, just thought it was something we had to pay back then, I have since used it a couple of times, but not sure I want it now except that the holiday ins runs till we are 80 which is a small plus. Not sure if that counts as PPI.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. Holiday insurance is holiday insurance, not PPI.

It sounds like you bought a packaged bank account.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Post #7:
    Complaints where it is felt that just because an account had absolutely any kind of insurance that it must "qualify for PPI" and so be automatically mis-sold. ;)
    Post # 9
    Rubybiker wrote: »
    paying a monthly amount into bank each month for holiday ins, car breakdown Not sure if that counts as PPI.
    I rest my case :D

This thread is also veering wildly off topic... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure