Heathrow strike when I'm flying in August. Time to start panicking??

Options
Hi all

I've been nervous ever since hearing about the potential BA strikes, as I am flying with them on 6th August (and back again on 11th August). So I'm waiting with bated breath to see what happens there...

I checked this morning for any more news only to learn that staff at Heathrow are planning to strike on the 6th!

So how much should I be panicking? Is this unchartered territory, or is it possible to say at this stage a) How likely the strike is to go ahead, and b) How likely my flight will be cancelled/severely delayed if it does?

Should I start looking at alternative options?

And anything else I should be aware of? I've read that if Heathrow strike I won't be entitled to any compensation from the Airline. But wold travel insurance cover me? I took it out on Monday.

Yours nervously :)

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Short Haul - Long Haul ? Routing?

At the moment the worry would be the LHR firefighters striking. If that happens and enough strike, the airport will not have fire cover and can not operate. If it is just other staff striking HAL have suggested that they can cover the walk out (security lines won't be pleasant though).

Some airlines may make contingency plans to operate some flights into other airports, perhaps were they have existing bases/staff/agents. I understand one middle eastern carrier has applied for slots at LGW and put their handling agent on notice to expect extra movements. Short hauls/domestics might get hit worse with some moving to other airports, but I suspect some airlines will just cancel services.

I certainly would not be panicking (I'm also flying 6 Aug). Hopefully a settlement will be made and industrial action called off.

The airline won't be responsible for EU261 compensation if LHR staff strike although airlines need to offer a Duty of Care to passengers at the airport or stuck.

Travel insurance would be the approach for any consequential losses but you can't buy the travel insurance as you have done after the strike has been announced and expect an easy ride from the insurers to pay you out. Travel insurance really should be purchased at the time of booking.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    At the moment the worry would be the LHR firefighters striking. If that happens and enough strike, the airport will not have fire cover and can not operate. If it is just other staff striking HAL have suggested that they can cover the walk out (security lines won't be pleasant though).
    https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/07/24/heathrow-fire-and-rescue-workers-join-strike-action/
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    Options
    *Breaking News*
    Unite calls off Heathrow strikes set for late July - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49099170
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • Tunstallstoven
    Options
    That's all very helpful Westin, thanks. It's a short haul flight to Prague.

Today is the first I've heard of the potential strikes, but I guess that wouldn't cut any ice with the insurers? Or would it? Is it the policy holder's responsibility to make themselves aware of such things? And seeing as it is not set in stone but is just a potential, does that make any difference?

When were the potential strikes first announced?

I see that the July strikes have been called off. Hopefully the same will happen with these August ones...

Cheers
  • Westin
    Options
    Seagull27 wrote: »
    That's all very helpful Westin, thanks. It's a short haul flight to Prague.

Today is the first I've heard of the potential strikes, but I guess that wouldn't cut any ice with the insurers? Or would it? Is it the policy holder's responsibility to make themselves aware of such things? And seeing as it is not set in stone but is just a potential, does that make any difference?

When were the potential strikes first announced?

I see that the July strikes have been called off. Hopefully the same will happen with these August ones...

Cheers

12th July
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/12/heathrow-airport-shutdown-summer-4000-workers-go-strike-10227038/?ito=twitter

Hopefully there will be a settlement and no industrial action necessary on any dates.
  • Tunstallstoven
    Options
    Damn!

So if the worse does happen, the insurer can really try to wash their hands because I don't keep a keen enough eye on the press?

Does it make any difference that I bought the flight before the announcement?
  • Westin
    Options
    It is the travel insurance that needs to be bought before the announcement. Date of flight purchase is not really relevant.

An insurer *may* refuse to pay out given that the risk (of strike) was known/disclosed at the time the policy was purchased (it was in the public domain).

That said, I don't work for your travel insurer and if the worse happened you can of course try a claim.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Call/email your insurers and Ask.
    Likely they'll have a template reply ready to go & then you will know what is expected & planned.

Even if they don't, yet, odds on you'll get to Prague somehow even if you miss a couple of days. Not ideal but that's strikes & insurance for you.
  • jackieblack
    Options
    Damn!

So if the worse does happen, the insurer can really try to wash their hands because I don't keep a keen enough eye on the press?

Does it make any difference that I bought the flight before the announcement?
    post #4 ?
    :cool:
    *Breaking News*
    Unite calls off Heathrow strikes set for late July - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49099170
  • Tunstallstoven
    Options
    post #4 ?
    :cool:

Post #1 :(
    I am flying with them on 6th August (and back again on 11th August).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure