Can I post a passport to the US?

Options
My son is a dual US/UK citizen and has travelled to the US two days ago but forgot to take his UK passport.

I have found his passport at home. Can I post it to him to the US? He will only need it when he comes back and needs to go through UK customs. Or Shall I hold onto it?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing to stop you mailing it other than chance of loss, tracked courier would be better.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I'd hold on to it.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think there will be a problem for your son to travel back without their UK passport.

A UK citizen doesn't officially need a passport to enter the UK, all they need to do is to be able to satisfy the immigration staff of their right to enter the country. A copy of their UK passport along with their USA passport (to prove their identity) should be good enough for this, so why not send a scanned copy?

Also, an American citizen doesn't normally need a visa to enter the UK so I can't think of any reason why there should be any difficulty.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    US citizens can now use the e gates so unless there is an problem he will not need to speak to an immigration officer.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Meet him at the airport on the way back , if any problems you are just outside in arrivals with it in emergency
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bigpappa
    bigpappa Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My concern is he can enter the UK but he will enter as a US citizen and therefore he has only right to remain for 6 months.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    bigpappa wrote: »
    My concern is he can enter the UK but he will enter as a US citizen and therefore he has only right to remain for 6 months.

But he's still a UK citizen! Are you afraid they'll deport him after six months?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, his UK citizenship and permanent right to reside is not lost by entering with other passport.

You could send him a photo of his UK passport data page by WhatsApp, in case it's useful. No point to the expense of sending the actual passport.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    He'll not be stuck on the wrong side of the barrier, or the Pond, without it.
    Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed will be about £12 & you're covered up to £250 for loss or damage.

Frankly, since he can get home fine without it (& might possibly lose it out there anyway), I'd hang onto it as he doesn't need it.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But he's still a UK citizen! Are you afraid they'll deport him after six months?
    eDicky wrote: »
    No, his UK citizenship and permanent right to reside is not lost by entering with other passport.

He wouldn't lose his right to stay in the UK when entering on a US passport but there may still be a problem in the future.
    If he enters the country solely on the basis of his US passport, it will be stamped accordingly (or recorded if he uses the eGate) allowing him to stay for 6 months.
    If he doesn't then leave the country (again, on his US passport) within this time, he could well be flagged up as an overstayer.

Although this shouldn't have any repercussions should the border agency investigate as he could prove his legal right to be here, it could still mean a bit of unneeded work.

Just send your son a copy of his UK passport and the immigration officials can easily use the details from that along with his US passport to show that he has full right of entry and abode in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure