Can I post a passport to the US?

Comments

• bigpappa
    bigpappa Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is this for real?

In post #14 you say "Now the irony would be if I sent it to him and he lost it on his holidays!"

It takes until #25 for you to reveal the possibly relevant fact that your son is only four years old and travelling with his mum. How did "he" forget his passport and why would you be sending it to "him" rather than his mother?

As others have said, keep the passport safe at home (assuming you can keep it safely) and let him enter on his US passport - there'll be no problems (as long as you don't lose his UK one in the meantime).

[Do four year-olds even have their own passports?]

Yes will be sending it to his mother.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    USA passports are no longer stamped for visitors to the UK. They can also use the e-gates.

4 year olds cannot use e-gates, even the ones with US passports.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HogMan wrote: »
    4 year olds cannot use e-gates, even the ones with US passports.

None of us knew it was a 4 year old involved until quite recently. It however changed none of the other advice.
  • bigpappa
    None of us knew it was a 4 year old involved until quite recently. It however changed none of the other advice.

Thank you for your advice and after contacting UK Passports again they reiterated he should have no problem entering.

I am going to create a pdf copy of his passport and email to my wife who will then print it out and have a hard copy with her.

As to the issue of entering as a US Citizen - as long as the border staff notes he's a UK citizen it should not be a problem. I know they do not accept copies of passport but he will have his US passport with him and I will have in my possession the original.

I think I was swayed by the Hostile Environment how innocent people can get caught up.
  • bigpappa wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice and after contacting UK Passports again they reiterated he should have no problem entering.

I am going to create a pdf copy of his passport and email to my wife who will then print it out and have a hard copy with her.

As to the issue of entering as a US Citizen - as long as the border staff notes he's a UK citizen it should not be a problem. I know they do not accept copies of passport but he will have his US passport with him and I will have in my possession the original.

I think I was swayed by the Hostile Environment how innocent people can get caught up.

So you're finally going to do what some posters advised two weeks ago. Good.

As I asked in #15, what is this "Hostile Environment" aimed at four year old US citizens that you fear?
  • Yes, even babies have their own passports these days.

I honestly didn't know that. How long is a "baby" passport valid for?
  • I honestly didn't know that. How long is a "baby" passport valid for?

5 years......
  • bigpappa
    So you're finally going to do what some posters advised two weeks ago. Good.

As I asked in #15, what is this "Hostile Environment" aimed at four year old US citizens that you fear?

They could stamp him entering on his US passport so has to leave within 6 months unless they are satisfied he is a UK citizen.

Look at how EU nationals living here all their lives and paying taxes have fallen foul of this hostile environment.
  • bigpappa wrote: »
    They could stamp him entering on his US passport so has to leave within 6 months unless they are satisfied he is a UK citizen.

Look at how EU nationals living here all their lives and paying taxes have fallen foul of this hostile environment.

Again, People entering on a USA passport no longer receive a stamp in their passport. As long as he is a UK citizen there are no issues.

I don't understand what you mean by EU nationals falling foul of this "hostile enviroment"?

• I don't understand what you mean by EU nationals falling foul of this "hostile enviroment"?

Just think of a word beginning with B
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport