Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 27th Jun 19, 4:42 PM
    • 622Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Callum
    Barclaycard cans free overseas spending on top pick Platinum Cashback Plus card - MSE News
    • 27th Jun 19, 4:42 PM
    Barclaycard cans free overseas spending on top pick Platinum Cashback Plus card - MSE News 27th Jun 19 at 4:42 PM
    Customers who apply for the Barclaycard Platinum Cashback Plus card from today will pay a fee every time they buy something or withdraw cash overseas - but if you've already got the card you'll continue to be able to use it for free abroad...
    Read the full story:
    'Barclaycard cans free overseas spending on top pick Platinum Cashback Plus card'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 27th Jun 19, 4:44 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 27th Jun 19, 4:44 PM
    • 27th Jun 19, 4:44 PM
    Misleading article - the card is no longer called "Platinum Cashback Plus" but just "Platinum Cashback".

They pulled the "Plus" and overseas fee-free part over a week ago, so not "as from today" as the article wrongly dictates.
    • my-planet
    • By my-planet 5th Jul 19, 10:11 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    my-planet
    • 5th Jul 19, 10:11 AM
    • 5th Jul 19, 10:11 AM
    I just got the card last month. How long will it stay fee free for? I was just about to setup a monthly payment on it for a service abroad, and am wondering if I should use a different card now?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 5th Jul 19, 10:13 AM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 5th Jul 19, 10:13 AM
    • 5th Jul 19, 10:13 AM
    If you applied at the time they were offering the fee-free offer, then August 2023
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 5th Jul 19, 11:57 AM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 5th Jul 19, 11:57 AM
    • 5th Jul 19, 11:57 AM
    For information only - I called Barclaycard and the assistant advised me that a new credit card with similar fee free foreign ATM and purchases was a work in progress.

They've certainly messed about with this series of Barclaycards - changing the names and revising the expiry dates of the overseas fee free deal.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Jul 19, 1:59 AM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 6th Jul 19, 1:59 AM
    • 6th Jul 19, 1:59 AM
    For information only - I called Barclaycard and the assistant advised me that a new credit card with similar fee free foreign ATM and purchases was a work in progress.

They've certainly messed about with this series of Barclaycards - changing the names and revising the expiry dates of the overseas fee free deal.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Have they? AFAIK the dates remain the same, for the people who already have the Platinum Travel & Cashback Plus cards. End of August 2022 and 2023 respectively.

In fact the first iteration of the Platinum Travel card promo ended in 2018. The next expires before Sept 2022. Then came the Cashback Plus ending prior to Sept 2023.
    As the years go by, they needed to revise the dates or they would be no use to anyone.

As it is, people have three and four years of usage to go, with the already activated accounts.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 8th Jul 19, 9:17 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 8th Jul 19, 9:17 AM
    • 8th Jul 19, 9:17 AM
    Have they? AFAIK the dates remain the same, for the people who already have the Platinum Travel & Cashback Plus cards. End of August 2022 and 2023 respectively.

In fact the first iteration of the Platinum Travel card promo ended in 2018. The next expires before Sept 2022. Then came the Cashback Plus ending prior to Sept 2023.
    As the years go by, they needed to revise the dates or they would be no use to anyone.

As it is, people have three and four years of usage to go, with the already activated accounts.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Those on the 2018 deal (such as myself) had the deal extended to end of August 2022.

It's a unique card in the market as it's the only foreign-free Visa card which I've found useful for some merchants that don't take MasterCard Credit, e.g. CostCo USA.
    • bigfer
    • By bigfer 9th Jul 19, 6:30 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    bigfer
    • 9th Jul 19, 6:30 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 6:30 AM
    So, yes or no. Barclaycard Platinum card, since Apr 2019 will I be charged a fee for taking out Turkish lira from ATM?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Jul 19, 7:14 AM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 9th Jul 19, 7:14 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 7:14 AM
    Check with BarclayCard which offer you are on
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 9th Jul 19, 10:02 AM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I called Barclaycard, post #5.

Apologies for omission - I was advised that those who already have the fee free foreign ATM benefit will retain this benefit for the duration of their deal.

This can be found on monthly statement.
    • mparter
    • By mparter 23rd Jul 19, 2:56 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mparter
    I've had my Barclaycard Platinum since Jan 2019 and have a 2.99% foreign transaction fee listed on my statement. I'm either looking at the wrong thing or they've been doing this since before April?!
    • Chino
    • By Chino 23rd Jul 19, 3:14 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Chino
    I've had my Barclaycard Platinum since Jan 2019 and have a 2.99% foreign transaction fee listed on my statement.
    Originally posted by mparter
    Is your card definitely the same product (Barclaycard Platinum Cashback Plus) that the thread relates to or just one with a similar name?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 23rd Jul 19, 3:36 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I've had my Barclaycard Platinum since Jan 2019 and have a 2.99% foreign transaction fee listed on my statement. I'm either looking at the wrong thing or they've been doing this since before April?!
    Originally posted by mparter
    There is a difference between the standard "Platinum" card and the "Platinum Cashback/Cashback Plus" card.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 8:02 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    There is a difference between the standard "Platinum" card and the "Platinum Cashback/Cashback Plus" card.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    ...and the Platinum Travel card. The Travel card doesn't actually have Travel written on it(to add to the confusion).
    • Ngozi
    • By Ngozi 23rd Jul 19, 9:02 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Ngozi
    If you check your statements, it should state what your fees are.

I got mine just before the end of June (holidaying in Sept) and I have 0% fees on withdrawals but pay a fee if buy/spend a foreign transaction on it.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Jul 19, 10:17 PM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If you check your statements, it should state what your fees are.

I got mine just before the end of June (holidaying in Sept) and I have 0% fees on withdrawals but pay a fee if buy/spend a foreign transaction on it.
    Originally posted by Ngozi
    No, that cannot be right. Check again.
    • Ngozi
    • By Ngozi 24th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Ngozi
    Poor picture I know, it's the way I understood it though?
    Happy to be wrong if it could save me money, so what does the attached mean?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PkZUlxzPymREr94uCbfj3-H3bH2So9zm/view?usp=drivesdk
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 24th Jul 19, 1:11 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    "May Apply".

Have a look at the top right of the front page of your statement.

It tells you there word for word what you do and don't have.

For example, mine says:

Your Platinum cashback plus offer
    You get 0.25% cashback on all your purchases. Plus no fees
    abroad, this means you won't pay fees on non-sterling
    purchases and cash withdrawals. These offers apply until 31
    August 2023. You won't receive cashback on any purchase
    that's moved to an Instalment Plan. Cashback will be credited to
    your statement every month.

However on the summary page it still states as yours:

Foreign
    usage

Payment scheme exchange rate. The rate can be found at
    visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx
    One or more of the following may apply:
    • Non-Sterling transaction fee: 2.99% • Cash fee: 0%
    Last edited by Gary_Dexter; 24-07-2019 at 1:13 PM.
    • Ngozi
    • By Ngozi 24th Jul 19, 1:26 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Ngozi
    Cheers, you're spot on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,424Posts Today

7,321Users online

Martin's Twitter