IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter of Claim

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With a Claim Issue Date of 3rd May, you have until Wednesday 22nd May to do the Acknowledgement of Service, but there is nothing to be gained by delaying it. To do the AoS, follow the guidance offered in a Dropbox file linked from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread. About ten minutes work - no thinking required.

You have two days to do the AoS. May as well do it today.

Having done the AoS, you have until 4pm on Wednesday 5th June 2019 to file your Defence.

That's just over two weeks away. Loads of time to produce a perfect Defence, but don't leave it to the last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
      Print your Defence.
    1. Sign it and date it.
    2. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    3. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    4. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    5. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defence received". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    6. Do not be surprised to receive an early copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to keep you under pressure.
    7. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
  • cmonbris
    cmonbris Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies, I do not seem to be receiving notifications and so had not realised I had received to further replies... and was busy putting a defence together!

The issues date of claim was 3/5/19.

Thank you for help with searching posts.
  • cmonbris
    Options
    Have had to switch to my mobile as the site does not seem to like my government laptop!

Thank you Keith. AOS was completed and sent 15/5/19.
    I am in holiday 26/5-7/6 so am hoping to have sent off defence 25/5 so as to enjoy holiday without pressures! I will post what I've done so far...
  • KeithP
    Options
    cmonbris wrote: »
    Apologies, I do not seem to be receiving notifications and so had not realised I had received to further replies.
    If you cannot work out how to subscribe to a thread (hint: the Forum Help will tell you how to do this), then you would be best advised to check for responses at least on a daily basis.
  • cmonbris
    Options
    With thanks to Nulacola and indeed the support they have received from the forum to put together their defence… I have cribbed from their document and amended to personalise. Please can I have thoughts on my defence.

The Claim form says:

The Claimant’s Claim is for the sum of £106.00 being monies due form the Defendant to the claimant in respect of a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) for a parking contravention which occurred on xx/xx/xx in the private car park/and located at Lusty Glaze (Parking) xxx registration xxxxxxx.

The defendant was allowed … 28 days… but fialed to do so.

Despite having demand… failed to settle their outstanding liability.

The claim also includes statutory interest…, per annum (a daily rate of £0.02).

The claimant also claims £60 contractual costs for terms and conditions.

!

The PCN identifies: Ticket Incorrectly Displayed Face Down as “Issue Reason”.

!

IN THE COUNTY COURT

CLAIM No: xxxxxxxxxx

BETWEEN:

KBT Cornwall Limited CAR PARKS (Claimant)

-and-

xxxxxxxxxxxx (Defendant)

1. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.

2. The facts are that the vehicle, registration XXXX, of which the Defendant is the registered keeper, was parked on the material date Lusty Glaze Car Park, Newquay, TR7 3AE, and had a valid permit to be parked.

3 The driver checked the ticket after placing it on the dashboard, and it was clearly displayed. The ticket has flipped or blown over after the driver left the vehicle, perhaps by strong winds through the ventilation system. This ‘force majeure’ was caused by severe weather outside the control of the driver and not something which should be a matter for either party to be bound by, nor for either party to benefit from, in terms of any 'charge' or penalty.

4 The term, ‘ticket incorrectly displayed face down” (this is identified as the issue reason) is not transparent per Section 68 of the CRA 2015. Where contract terms have different meanings Section 69 of the CRA 2015 provides a statutory form of the contra proferentem rule, such that the consumer must be given the benefit of the doubt. A valid ticket was displayed in the front windscreen of the Defendant’s vehicle. If the Claimant wanted to impose a term to continuously display permits, then they should have drafted clear terms to that effect. Fluttering ticket cases have been ruled by PATAS adjudicators in Council PCN adjudications as requiring specific terms to 'continuously display' or there is no contravention. The term is fundamental to the contract, and the Defendant invites the Court to find that it is not transparent and therefore unfair. If a fundamental term to the contract is deemed to be unfair, then the contract will cease to bind the parties. The Defence invites the Court to take these issues into account in determining the fairness of the term.

5 It would be reasonable to expect a parking firm, as a purported service provider in a customer car park open to the general public, to provide non-flimsy tickets and a method of attachment such as a sticky or double sided ticket - where they know this is a repeated issue. The defendant includes the views of Council Adjudicators regarding the well-known issue of 'flimsy fluttering tickets' in this defence, because the Supreme Court (and the Court of Appeal Judges) in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 were happy to draw similarities with Council PCNs as detailed in points 6 and 7.

6 'In DB05057D the adjudicator said: “…having seen the original ticket I note that it is made of rather thin paper which is likely to be dislodged when a car door is shut. It may be that the Council would argue that it is the driver's responsibility to ensure that the ticket is on display when the vehicle is left, but on the other hand if it chooses to issue pay and display tickets made of such thin paper it must expect that now and again this type of situation will arise.”

7 In HV05040D the adjudicator accepted the appellant’s evidence that she had displayed the ticket on the dash and checked after closing the door that it was still there. He said: “I am not aware of any signs in the car park suggesting the use of adhesives by motorists when parking their cars."’

8 The claim is brought for a parking contravention, i.e. breach of contract. However, it is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct.

9 Further and in the alternative, it is denied that the claimant's signage sets out the terms in a sufficiently clear manner which would be capable of binding any reasonable person reading them.

10 The terms on the Claimant's signage are also displayed in a font which is too small to be read from a passing vehicle, and is in such a position that anyone attempting to read the tiny font would be unable to do so easily. It is, therefore, denied that the Claimant's signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract.

11 The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient proprietary interest in the land, or that it has the necessary authorisation from the landowner to issue parking charge notices, and to pursue payment by means of litigation.

12 The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4, at Section 4(5) states that the maximum sum that may be recovered from the keeper is the charge stated on the Notice to Keeper, in this case £100. The £100 is for breach of contract. The claim includes an additional £60 in damages contractual costs, also for breach of contract, which appears to be an attempt at double recovery. Added costs/damages were also deemed unrecoverable in the Supreme Court case of Beavis, which allowed only the parking charge itself (£85) due to compelling facts about clear signs, a legitimate commercial interest and deterrent value in encouraging turnover of spaces. None of this applies to this claim, which is wholly meritless due to the Claimant's failure to similarly disengage the penalty rule.

13 In summary, it is the Defendant's position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the Court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using its case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence are true.

Name
    Signature
    Date
  • cmonbris
    Options
    Thank you Keith - I will go back to checking daily. Interface between mobile and laptop seems to be very different and there seems to be restrictions on mobiles when trying to use the forum when compared with using it through a laptop.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks fine apart from you can't say the driver didn't enter into any contract at all, because they did (the tariff was paid, so that was 'a contract'). So put this instead:
    8 The claim is brought for a parking contravention, i.e. breach of contract. However, it is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, [STRIKE]entered into[/STRIKE] breached any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct. The contract on the signs only set out the tariffs in large lettering (not the penalty, which was believed to be hidden in small print) and so the only contract agreed was to 'pay and display' and the driver's end of that bargain was met.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    Options
    If I ever need to access this forum via a mobile telephone, I find that a bog standard web browser best - rather than any phone specific software.

Of course you will be greatly restricted, not only by screen size, when using a mobile telephone.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A phone for interfacing with this forum is all but useless. Restrict any significant actions (like posting and forum searches) to a laptop or PC. I actually manage pretty well on an iPad, so if you have one, that should get you by.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • cmonbris
    Options
    Thank you guys. Unfortunately I only have my government laptop which seems to have fallen out witb the forums administrator, or my personal phone. I'm hopeful that when I log back in at work tomorrow I might get further with the laptop. Meanwhile I'll try to carry on with mobile.

Coupon Mad - thank you for help on Point 8, I will amend. There us a rather large sign, which I have a photo of which is separate to tarrif sign, that does set out penalty in a large font... is this an issue to point 8? I have photo but can't attach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure