Samsung v other brands sim free phones

Shelle
Shelle Posts: 353 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My last 2 mobile phones have been from the Samsung Galaxy family and I am now looking for a new phone again. This time, after negotiating a sim card deal with my current supplier (EE) for £15 for 30gb after my contract for £40 ended, I thought it would be cheaper in the long run to keep the sim card and buy the handset outright.

I have loved my two previous Samsungs, however the single criticsm I would have is the battery life. My current phone which is coming up to 4 years has got so bad (granted to be expected) that I have to charge it up at least twice a day. But even when new if I was on holiday for example and took lots of photos (and I mean 100s!) I would run out of charge by the end of the day.

I know Samsung S10plus is considered to one of the best models in the current market, however it still mentions that the battery is not as good as it could be. Is there an equivalent that gives me a good battery life along with big screen and excellent photo quality? I saw some of the Huawei phones, however I wasnt sure of the security of the brand given recent headlines?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2019 at 9:30AM
    Yes Buy a Huawei with one of their big batteries 4000mAh against Samsung 3400mAh

P10, P20 or the newest P30

as regards security issues on using a Huawei mobile its mostly rubbish hype

(If you use any BT/Sky/ etc etc who uses Open Reach phone line the chances are you are connected thru multiple pieces of Huawei kit, hard to avoid)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    the new Google Pixel 3a XL is getting good reviews and Google do monthly security updates too.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/17/google-pixel-3a-xl-review-camera-android-software
  • ballyblack
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    the new Google Pixel 3a XL is getting good reviews and Google do monthly security updates too.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/17/google-pixel-3a-xl-review-camera-android-software

Yes Pixel is a good phone and has no bloat on it like the Samsung.

However it only has a 3000mAh battery which is the main issue with the poster
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Shelle wrote: »
    I saw some of the Huawei phones, however I wasnt sure of the security of the brand given recent headlines?

Any suggestions?

Yes, stop reading and believing everything you see in the media.

As far as the phone goes then as stated, look at the Huawei or Xiaomi phones with 4000mAh batteries. The S10 Plus will cost you £500 plus so you've got a very large range to consider and will no doubt save a lot of money into the bargain.
  • ballyblack
    Yes, stop reading and believing everything you see in the media.

Good suggestion
  • Shelle
    Shelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Thanks to all of you who replied, very much appreciated! :beer:
    Had a quick look at the Huawei phones and certainly looks very impressive! And yes you are right, the media isnt always to be believed :p
  • Or you could buy a Pocophone F1 with a 4000ma battery for around £300.00
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Shelle wrote: »
    And yes you are right, the media isnt always to be believed :p
    And neither are the uninformed opinions of random strangers on the internet.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    It seems that Google may have to pull their services and the Play Store from Huawei phones. I think this may affect sales of their devices if it comes to pass.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • It seems that Google may have to pull their services and the Play Store from Huawei phones. I think this may affect sales of their devices if it comes to pass.
    It will kill the sale of their phones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport