First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given the level of detail I'd be looking at

a) you've been scammed and previously given those details to someone

b) someone very close to home isn't being honest with you
  • VTR1000
    VTR1000 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I don't believe I have been scammed previously as I've never written my details down or passed any login details to anyone other than Santander - when I've rang them.

I suspected an extended family member who had stayed recently, but they could not have had knowledge of the Paddy Power bet.

If it wasn't for the bet and quoting it to Santander security as 'Power Leisure' (without prompting - apparently) I would be with you.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VTR1000 wrote: »
    1) the 3rd and 5th digit of my security code & DOB/post code. That in isolation isn't enough - trust me, I know. The impostor also gave them my council tax bill/the last payment I made on my debit card.

Ok... I was more interested in 'how do you know', not 'what do you know'.

Are you saying the bank have specifically told you that the fraudster specifically told them the 3 and 5th digit etc etc? Not sure why would they would tell you that? All they need to tell you is the fraudster knew your security code, not which particular digits he or she knew, surely. The Paddy Power v Paddy Leisure info is similarly detailed. Your knowledge of what the fraudster said and did is almost as weird as what you're saying about them knowing your security.
  • VTR1000
    edited 17 May 2019 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Zanderman. Mixing posts.

The security code details were in answer to 18cc's question, not yours.

The thief didn't know my security code so they asked him other security questions, last transaction, monthly dd to my local council etc.It's the last transaction that makes me that it might be related to a bank employee. It's my belief that only someone who has seen my account would get the Power Leisure answer.I certainly wouldn't know it - I didn't even know my council tax direct debit.

And as all of the access times between the dates can be verified as me, how can someone know about the Paddy Power without there being a trace to an IP address?

The reason I know so much is because I wrote to the chief exec and have been dealing with the senior complaints manager for the past two weeks and he's been very helpful - much more than the security dept.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

And as all of the access times between the dates can be verified as me, how can someone know about the Paddy Power without there being a trace to an IP address?

I think the one thing we agree on, based on information you shared with us in this thread, is that a third party has got access to your Santander account, using IP addresses that you recognise as you are using them yourself..

That someone can be a person who physically accessed your account from your home or office. Or it can be someone who has remote access to your PC(s)*. We can exclude the latter as you said you had scanned your PC(s)* for Malware. Which leaves the former. Note that the fraudster who allegedly rang the bank, and who used your debit card to make a £1,300 purchase, doesn't necessarily have to be the same person who physically accessed your account from your home or office.

* Can you clarify - have you been accessing your Santander account through more than one physical PC? One at home, and one in the office? How would you know the IP address of your office, and how would you know that it was you who used the office IP address?
    The reason I know so much is because I wrote to the chief exec and have been dealing with the senior complaints manager for the past two weeks
    I am afraid, if you didn't get a resolution in over two weeks from the Executive complaints manager, it doesn't look very promising.
  • VTR1000
    Options
    colsten wrote: »

* Can you clarify - have you been accessing your Santander account through more than one physical PC? One at home, and one in the office? How would you know the IP address of your office, and how would you know that it was you who used the office IP address?

I am afraid, if you didn't get a resolution in over two weeks from the Executive complaints manager, it doesn't look very promising.

Two laptops, home and office. I know the IP address for the office as the head of IT gave it to me and I confirmed with an online checker that it was registered to my employer.

The complaints manager gave me the IP addresses and times that they had accessed my accounts, which I confirmed with my browser history. I spoke with the head of IT and whilst in theory they can remotely access my laptop via the VNC software, we can see when they do as the screen changes. Also, if we do not use the laptop for 10 mins then the screen locks and the password is needed to unlock it before remote connection is possible.

The exec complaints manager is ringing me back today to discuss my concerns that the access stemmed from them.

Unless they have deliberately withheld other IP addresses that have accessed my account (which I don't believe) between the 6th and 11th, then the access points towards an internal issue at Santander.

It might also explain why my account was locked down for three weeks and not the original 48 hours I was told.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    This is how scams like this work

First of all you get a text saying £1,300 has been spent was it you or not. This is not from Santander but number spoofing is used to make it look as though the text came from santander's number...

You reply no - this is irrelevant the fraudster has no access to your reply. However they ring you up a few minutes later and say 'thanks for saying no we need to check your account and I will take you through security'

meanwhile they are on the Santander internet banking screen. they need your Santander user ID of course they enter that onto the Santander banking screen. the Santander banking screen askes for digits 2 and 6 of your security code .the fraudster says to you in order to identify you please give me digits 2 and 6 of your security code...

You give it to them and they enter this onto the Santander banking screen. This gives them access to your account

They of course cannot send money to a new payee without a one-time password sent to your mobile number

Often the scammers will make up some convincing explanation as to why you should give it to them

I'm not saying all of this happened to you I'm just telling you the way frauds like this work
  • 18cc
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know what details you gave them

I have never done it but I would bet that if you go to the Santander website and click I have forgotten my password then in order to reset it you probably will have to enter details like date of birth and postcode...
  • 18cc
    Options
    The problem with this kind of fraud is - I would bet most people on here would not give out security details to someone who just rang them out of the blue and said they were their bank. I certainly wouldn't anyway

By using a text like this it forms a hook on which they can ring and it all looks legitimate

I have said this many many times and will keep saying it - never ever give anything out to anybody pretending or otherwise to be your bank from an unsolicited phone call or even a solicited one
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Two laptops, home and office. I know the IP address for the office as the head of IT gave it to me and I confirmed with an online checker that it was registered to my employer.

The complaints manager gave me the IP addresses and times that they had accessed my accounts, which I confirmed with my browser history. I spoke with the head of IT and whilst in theory they can remotely access my laptop via the VNC software, we can see when they do as the screen changes. Also, if we do not use the laptop for 10 mins then the screen locks and the password is needed to unlock it before remote connection is possible.
    Everybody in your office will use the same IP when accessing external sites. It will be impossible to tell from the IP address whether it was you or one of your colleagues. Just as it will be impossible to tell from your home IP address who in your home was making the transactions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure