Investing from abroad

AnnaTT
AnnaTT Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 16 May 2019 at 1:06PM in Savings & investments
Hi,

I'm a UK citizen but live in Spain. Hargreaves Lansdown etc won't take you unless UK based. Are there brokers who will accept you? Have come across platforms like Degiro but they don't seem particularly good. Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

Thanks in advance, Anna

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    AnnaTT wrote: »

Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

No, it's illegal. Regardless of personal circumstances, anyone who wishes to make an investment of some kind must return to the country in which they were born, and invest from there.
  • AnnaTT
    There's stacks of 'Nomad Traders' investing from all over the world in various entities
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    No, it's illegal. Regardless of personal circumstances, anyone who wishes to make an investment of some kind must return to the country in which they were born, and invest from there.

I presume that this is sarcasm, or an 'in-kind' answer to a silly question.
  • Voyager2002
    Hi,

I'm a UK citizen but live in Spain. Hargreaves Lansdown etc won't take you unless UK based. Are there brokers who will accept you? Have come across platforms like Degiro but they don't seem particularly good. Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

Thanks in advance, Anna

Spain has a well-developed financial sector, so just use a broker or 'platform' that serves Spanish investors.

Alternatively, look for a 'platform' that serves expatriates: when I lived in Africa I invested with Luxemburg-based Internaxx, but their fees now are rather high. Or look carefully at De Giro and decide whether their shortcomings would actually make any difference to you.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    I presume that this is sarcasm, or an 'in-kind' answer to a silly question.

Yes, I had hoped that the ridiculous answer would make it clear that the question was a silly one. :D

I didn't think the OP was going to take it seriously and then come up with examples of people investing while outside their country of citizenship.
  • AnnaTT
    edited 16 May 2019 at 2:31PM
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Yes, I had hoped that the ridiculous answer would make it clear that the question was a silly one. :D

I didn't think the OP was going to take it seriously and then come up with examples of people investing while outside their country of citizenship.

Superiority complex - how charming. That's really friendly and welcoming to new people on here. Learn and grow butthead99
  • Voyager2002
    Superiority complex - how charming. That's really friendly and welcoming to new people on here. Learn and grow butthead99

Regular users of this board (myself included) really appreciate the erudite and detailed explanations that Bowlhead generally provides. I think this is the first time I have ever seen him give a sarcastic response, but the provocation was exceptional.
  • Regular users of this board (myself included) really appreciate the erudite and detailed explanations that Bowlhead generally provides. I think this is the first time I have ever seen him give a sarcastic response, but the provocation was exceptional.

Hardly 'exceptional provocation'. Further superiority complex on your part I'd say.

Yes I agree Anna, not particularly pleasant. Just joined myself. I know what you mean regarding the legality. As to whether it's allowed in essence. I know Hargreaves Lansdown and the like won't allow you to use them. I used Interactive Brokers while abroad. Good luck :)
  • AnnaTT
    Thanks a lot Jim! I checked them out - looks good. I really appreciate your reply :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure