New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH


New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions


Investing from abroad

edited 16 May 2019 at 1:06PM in Savings & Investments
11 replies 536 views
AnnaTTAnnaTT Forumite
4 posts
edited 16 May 2019 at 1:06PM in Savings & Investments
Hi,

I'm a UK citizen but live in Spain. Hargreaves Lansdown etc won't take you unless UK based. Are there brokers who will accept you? Have come across platforms like Degiro but they don't seem particularly good. Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

Thanks in advance, Anna
«1

Replies

  • bowlhead99bowlhead99 Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AnnaTT wrote: »

    Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

    No, it's illegal. Regardless of personal circumstances, anyone who wishes to make an investment of some kind must return to the country in which they were born, and invest from there.
  • AnnaTTAnnaTT Forumite
    4 posts
    There's stacks of 'Nomad Traders' investing from all over the world in various entities
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    No, it's illegal. Regardless of personal circumstances, anyone who wishes to make an investment of some kind must return to the country in which they were born, and invest from there.


    I presume that this is sarcasm, or an 'in-kind' answer to a silly question.
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AnnaTT wrote: »
    Hi,

    I'm a UK citizen but live in Spain. Hargreaves Lansdown etc won't take you unless UK based. Are there brokers who will accept you? Have come across platforms like Degiro but they don't seem particularly good. Plus is it actually legal to invest while abroad?!

    Thanks in advance, Anna


    Spain has a well-developed financial sector, so just use a broker or 'platform' that serves Spanish investors.

    Alternatively, look for a 'platform' that serves expatriates: when I lived in Africa I invested with Luxemburg-based Internaxx, but their fees now are rather high. Or look carefully at De Giro and decide whether their shortcomings would actually make any difference to you.
  • bowlhead99bowlhead99 Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I presume that this is sarcasm, or an 'in-kind' answer to a silly question.

    Yes, I had hoped that the ridiculous answer would make it clear that the question was a silly one. :D

    I didn't think the OP was going to take it seriously and then come up with examples of people investing while outside their country of citizenship.
  • edited 16 May 2019 at 2:31PM
    AnnaTTAnnaTT Forumite
    4 posts
    edited 16 May 2019 at 2:31PM
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Yes, I had hoped that the ridiculous answer would make it clear that the question was a silly one. :D

    I didn't think the OP was going to take it seriously and then come up with examples of people investing while outside their country of citizenship.

    Superiority complex - how charming. That's really friendly and welcoming to new people on here. Learn and grow butthead99
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AnnaTT wrote: »
    Superiority complex - how charming. That's really friendly and welcoming to new people on here. Learn and grow butthead99


    Regular users of this board (myself included) really appreciate the erudite and detailed explanations that Bowlhead generally provides. I think this is the first time I have ever seen him give a sarcastic response, but the provocation was exceptional.
  • jimsurreyjimsurrey Forumite
    1 posts
    Regular users of this board (myself included) really appreciate the erudite and detailed explanations that Bowlhead generally provides. I think this is the first time I have ever seen him give a sarcastic response, but the provocation was exceptional.

    Hardly 'exceptional provocation'. Further superiority complex on your part I'd say.

    Yes I agree Anna, not particularly pleasant. Just joined myself. I know what you mean regarding the legality. As to whether it's allowed in essence. I know Hargreaves Lansdown and the like won't allow you to use them. I used Interactive Brokers while abroad. Good luck :)
  • AnnaTTAnnaTT Forumite
    4 posts
    Thanks a lot Jim! I checked them out - looks good. I really appreciate your reply :)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support