PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitors sent me someone else's TP1 plans /Deed

Options
Evening all,

My solicitors have send me someone else deed to sign, it had the right cover letter. I am worried they have sent the plans for my new home to someone else.

I have put in a compliant but obviously annoyed and worried about this.

Apart from complaining about this serious data breach, is there anything else I can do e.g. Ask for compensation etc?

As always any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Z

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    People make mistakes, just inform your solicitors of their error.

What financial loss have you suffered that warrants compensation?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Z3DD3Z wrote: »
    Evening all,

My solicitors have send me someone else deed to sign, it had the right cover letter. I am worried they have sent the plans for my new home to someone else.

Apart from complaining about this serious data breach, is there anything else I can do e.g. Ask for compensation etc?

Thanks

Z

Advice - do the right thing and speak to your solicitor in the morning. No doubt they'll be happy to receive the wrongly sent one back and reassure you that no harm has come to yours.

By all means make a complaint but I'd suggest you do it after your transaction has completed and manage your expectations to receive compensation in line with what you've lost (i.e. zero)

If you kick up a fuss now I'd see your transaction progressing more slowly and with the potential for increased costs :rotfl:
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might be something as simple as an office junior mixing up the papers when posting them out.

As long you get your correct papers and the other party gets their papers as well (plus an apology) - no harm should have been done. I don't know what compensation you're expecting?
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £40,750.02
  • Z3DD3Z
    Z3DD3Z Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, will give them a buzz in the morning
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    i think you are due millions
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It shouldn't happen and technically it's confidential, but bear in mind it's all public knowledge as soon as the titles are registered.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think they can be fined for this by the data protection people. You can't fine them but they can get into trouble. They probably need to make the person with GCSEs in Drama and Performing Arts redundant and get someone who can do the job properly.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Evening all,

Thanks

Z

I think the 'etc' is surplus.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask for compensation etc?

You don't get compensation simply because somebody has been negligent.

Generally, you get compensation because somebody has been negligent, and you have suffered a loss as a result.

There are statutory bodies who can sometimes fine somebody who has been negligent - but you don't get the proceeds of the fine.

(For example, if your personal information has been illegally disclosed, the Information Commissioner might fine somebody - but as above, you don't get the proceeds of the fine.)
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I think they can be fined for this by the data protection people. You can't fine them but they can get into trouble. They probably need to make the person with GCSEs in Drama and Performing Arts redundant and get someone who can do the job properly.

That's a tad harsh, we're all human and we all make mistakes. I personally wouldn't even give a formal warning for this. It's only because we're living in an increasing 'compensation culture' that these errors are blown out of proportion.

There has been no loss incurred (and the OP is only speculating that their documents have been misplaced), and if we're being completely factual, the person of whom's deed was sent to the OP was the one who has suffered a privacy breech.

To be a conveyancing solicitor I believe you have to hold, or be working towards, a CLC qualification so I don't fully understand your 'GCSEs in Drama and Performing Arts' assertion?
    Know what you don't
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family