Honeymoon dreams vs reality!

Options
Ok help me out here as I have a very grumpy fianc!e. We really wanted a all inclusive beach holiday for our honeymoon in half term next year (half term is a non negotiable as I am a teacher). We are an LGBT couple which obviously limits some of the countries that we can go to. Ideally we wanted to do no more than £2000 as we are broke from the wedding anyway but are struggling to find anything somewhere hot and within budget. Can anyone advise?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 April 2019 at 4:04PM
    Options
    Which month next year is the half term?

Which is your nearest airport and what time could you get there for on a Friday afternoon after school?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't know when half term is but thoroughly recommend Puerto Vallarta in Mexico. It is the most LGBT friendly place I have ever been, and a great place for a holiday. Read about it on TA.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're broke, don't go on honeymoon/holiday. Putting yourself into debt/deeper debt by going on an exotic holiday that you can't afford is crackers.

Put the idea on the backburner and do it when your circumstances have improved.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're broke, don't go on honeymoon/holiday. Putting yourself into debt/deeper debt by going on an exotic holiday that you can't afford is crackers.

Sensible advice, but an affordable honeymoon ought not to break the bank. There are some very gay-friendly resorts on Spain's Costa Brava.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sensible advice, but an affordable honeymoon ought not to break the bank.

If like the OP you are "broke", don't bury yourself in any more unnecessary debt.
  • beckysbobbles1
    Options
    Firstly congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. I understand why you want your dream honeymoon as hopefully you're only planning on marrying once.

I would recommend booking as early as possible. You can often get lower deposits and perhaps the option to pay monthly.

The places I've seen cheapest recently is Dominican Republic and Cape Verde. Mexico seems to be a bit more expensive lately. You could look for a Caribbean cruise too. The food is all included and you can often get offers on drinks packages.

I look for my holidays on Expedia and Travel Bag often. Also don't forget to use topcashback.co.uk as I earnt £200 cashback on my recent booking. It gets paid a while afterwards but that could be a nice little bonus for your fiancee.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are three half terms in every school year, which one are you planning to honeymoon in, it make a huge difference whether your're talking Feb, May or Oct.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Angelhales2601
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Which month next year is the half term?

Which is your nearest airport and what time could you get there for on a Friday afternoon after school?

Its the February half term. We live next to Heathrow but can get to Gatwick/Standsted/Luton etc.

We get married on the Saturday and my partner is adamant that she wants to go either the Sunday or Monday. She has it fixed in her head that we have to go away immediately as she doesn't want to return to work straight after getting married. For her it was a non negotiable in terms of the date we got married!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Canary Islands or Madeira would seem like a sensible option for February (I assume that you only have a week, so you won't want to waste too much of it travelling and getting over jet lag).
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its the February half term. We live next to Heathrow but can get to Gatwick/Standsted/Luton etc.

We get married on the Saturday and my partner is adamant that she wants to go either the Sunday or Monday. She has it fixed in her head that we have to go away immediately as she doesn't want to return to work straight after getting married. For her it was a non negotiable in terms of the date we got married!

She sounds a proper delight :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport