Accident without insurance

Options
Jsuk
Jsuk Posts: 40 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I was in a car accident which was not my fault (it was actually a hit and run, although the other driver was arrested around the corner), I was driving a friend's car and as I have fully comp insurance I thought I was covered (silly mistake I know!!). Me and my wife were both injured, I have a no win no fee solicitor working on the personal injury claims but am paying to have my friend's car fixed out of my own pocket as my insurance company won't help me. Is there a way I can claim the costs of getting my friend's car fixed from the other drivers insurance? (I am getting fined by the police and points on my licence for driving without the correct insurance)

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jsuk wrote: »
    I was in a car accident which was not my fault (it was actually a hit and run, although the other driver was arrested around the corner), I was driving a friend's car and as I have fully comp insurance I thought I was covered (silly mistake I know!!). Me and my wife were both injured, I have a no win no fee solicitor working on the personal injury claims but am paying to have my friend's car fixed out of my own pocket as my insurance company won't help me. Is there a way I can claim the costs of getting my friend's car fixed from the other drivers insurance? (I am getting fined by the police and points on my licence for driving without the correct insurance)
    Can't your friend claim for his car's damage on the other party's insurance if the other party was at fault?
  • Jsuk
    Options
    Perhaps but how? his insurance won't help (he has a traders policy) he put the responsibility on to me (fair enough) so is am paying to get it fixed, would I/him need a solicitor to talk to the third partys insurance? Thanks
  • Jsuk
    Options
    I have to wait 3 months for the outcome on the personal injury claims as he has not admitted liability, however the solicitor making the personal injury claim says it is very unlikely he will not be found liable. Should I wait and make sure he is found liable and then take him to small claims or ask a solicitor to claim from his insurance once I know he has been legally found at fault?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Sounds a complete mess and beyond my knowledge of how these things are handled. If you've already engaged legal support, best ask them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why were you not covered by having fully comp insurance?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Nikond4 wrote: »
    Having fully comp doesn't necessarily mean you're covered on someone else's vehicle. Some policies include it, others don't.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,201 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Why would having fully comp suggest a driver is automatically covered to drive other vehicles? It is best never to make assumptions about insurance, always check your own insurance carefully and don't rely on what someone once said somewhere on a forum you once came across.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jsuk
    Options

It used to be ALL fully comp insurance covered driving any other car, that changed, my situation was the insurance policy rolled over and I forgot to check it was still on the policy. Daft I know and yes a complete mess. Especially the fine and points on my (up until now clean) license 😣
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2019 at 10:33PM
    Options
    Jsuk wrote: »
    It used to be ALL fully comp insurance covered driving any other car

Many did, but I don't think All?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Not all policies did. Most did but it’s always been the case you need to check. It’s a case of people not reading the cover summary document or booklet. The full terms and conditions can be a dull read but the policy summary contains all you need to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure