What level of text data does Windows store and potentially upload to Microsoft?

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Is there any truth in the notion that if you have the privacy settings set in a certain way that every single word you type on Windows 10 gets sent up to the Microsoft servers and stored forever?
    If it was true, Microsoft would already have "fixed" Windows 10 given the number of complaints, especially about updates, that are typed into Google.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    According to the conspiracy theories anyone with an iPhone is being listened to all the time. That's why the CIA/NSA/FBI/ made Apple make it with a none removable battery.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Central Intelligence Agency with that grammatical error!

Either you've mis-read (the CIA allegedly responded to the comment - they didn't make the original comment), or you're commenting on the fact that the word Intelligence in their name looks odd in their response. (Hard to tell if it's a capital or small letter I).

Which is it? The latter I hope, else the joke's on you. ;)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there any truth in the notion that if you have the privacy settings set in a certain way that every single word you type on Windows 10 gets sent up to the Microsoft servers and stored forever?
    Nope
    What about if you use your voice to speak to Cortana, does every word you utter into the microphone get permanently stored in the Microsoft servers?
    Nope.
  • I can verify that my phone pad box thing does not listen when the current Mrs Blackbeard rings!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I can verify that my phone pad box thing does not listen when the current Mrs Blackbeard rings!

But is the current Mrs Blackbeard listening when the previous Mrs Blackbeard rings? :D
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you any idea how much storage that would take?

I keep some old junk that ought to be thrown out, but this notion takes hoarding to the next level.
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I dont know about before the wake up word, but everything after is - I went back the other day and listened to some of mine - and i have to say my taste in music after a few beers is quite shocking!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Oh I love this question or comment! I have read that there's enough storage in existence to record every single word that has EVER been uttered on the planet. Isn't that an interesting tidbit or factoid?

I read similar, but "problem" GCHQ, CIA etc have is the sheer amount of the stuff, easy to filter out K*lashnikov using AI, but harder to spot intent when mixed in with the knitting patterns, pouting teenagers & cute kittens
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Run Spybot Anti-Beacon to fix the problem:

https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family