Blocked by a seller for returning misdescribed item!

A vintage clothes seller I bought numerous times in the past with no problems until a few months ago when a jumper arrived and was 3 inches (no exaggeration) bigger that stated.

No biggie, mistakes happen- I selected "Doesn't fit" reason rather than "not as described" so that the seller didn't lose out on postage as I really thought it was a genuine mistake and wanted to help them as I could get the return postage back from paypal anyway.

Return accepted automatically (it's a business seller). Refund received, all fine. (Although I noticed they later relisted this item without amending measurements.

Just went to purchase something from them and it wouldn't let me because I can only guess they blocked me. I imagine for daring to return an item THEY made a mistake on..? Flabbergasted.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 April 2019 at 6:42PM
    Sadly for you, their business their rules.

Did you tell them that they'd got the sizing wrong? They could have concluded simply you were returning something you got wrong, not them - and the fact they relisted it as was supports that.
  • How did the seller not lose out on postage, did you pay for the return?

I always block buyers who return items.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How did the seller not lose out on postage, did you pay for the return?
    kiwi_fruit wrote: »
    I selected "Doesn't fit" reason rather than "not as described" so that the seller didn't lose out on postage

Seems straightforward...
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,190 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Seems straightforward...

Seller lost outward post of course.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kiwi_fruit
    kiwi_fruit Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2019 at 1:20AM

I always block buyers who return items.

They only lost the original postage, which, considering they made a mistake, was a pretty good deal I reckon.
    You'd a block a buyer for returning an item that was mis-described? Why?
  • kiwi_fruit
    kiwi_fruit Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    motorguy wrote: »
    Sadly for you, their business their rules.

Did you tell them that they'd got the sizing wrong? They could have concluded simply you were returning something you got wrong, not them - and the fact they relisted it as was supports that.

I did, I don't know whether they read it though as the return was accepted automatically. I suppose it just seems personal as I bought numerous items from them in the past and would've bought more in the future, so a loss-loss situation. If I returned it due to "change of mind" I could've understood the block maybe.
  • soolin
    kiwi_fruit wrote: »
    They only lost the original postage, which, considering they made a mistake, was a pretty good deal I reckon.
    You'd a block a buyer for returning an item that was mis-described? Why?

I often block buyers as well for quite minor issues if they cost me money.If I know I've made an awful mistake then no, I wouldn't block I would apologise and move on. If however someone returned something as they didn't like it, or it didn't fit then it costs me money (outward postage plus 20p paypal fee) and I would prefer not to deal with them again.

I suspect blocking people for returning is going to be more common if paypal go the same way in the UK as they have in the US. In the US paypal have announced that if a payment is refunded, for ANY reason, the full paypal fees remain payable , this is going to make returns extremely expensive.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »

I suspect blocking people for returning is going to be more common if paypal go the same way in the UK as they have in the US. In the US paypal have announced that if a payment is refunded, for ANY reason, the full paypal fees remain payable , this is going to make returns extremely expensive.
    Not really for this thread but whatever happened to Ebay's new payment system? I've not heard anything about it lately.

For the OP, it could be another glitch or some other problem (an over zealous member of staff), so worth sending a message to the seller asking if there's a problem and that you want to bid.

I once met a customer I'd blocked, he was buying from me offline. He was quite nice about it and said it was his fault.

On Amazon customers can't be blocked, I think I've only wanted the option once in a few hundred thousand transactions.
  • soolin
    RFW wrote: »
    Not really for this thread but whatever happened to Ebay's new payment system? I've not heard anything about it lately.

It's still rolling out across the US , strangely enough paypal seem to be making themselves less and less friendly towards sellers rather than trying to compete. This new rule about not returning fees for any refund reasons is making a lot of sellers consider switching.

Obviously we have no way of knowing how it will work if it ever gets to the UK, but in the US it seems impossible to offer the new system alongside paypal, most sellers are reporting you have to choose one or the other. As with all changes it is a mixed bag, some sellers love it, some hate it, but it is difficult to compare costs with the US system of fees set up so differently to the UK model. At the moment it seems the new system is cheaper even without the new paypal fees , but no doubt once people have switched the pricing structure is bound to change in ebay's favour somehow!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »
    Seller lost outward post of course.

Of course.

I picked up on the "did you pay for the return" comment. My bold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure