We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Puppy from Hungary

Options
Hi All! Please help with advice!

We are a heartbroken family.

We were cheated by a puppy breeder from Hungary. We found him on one of the UK Facebook Dachshund pages.

As I am a disabled person, for me is very important a size of a dog. We love Dachshunds and the smallest size of this breed is Kaninchen Dachshund which is not recognised by the UK Kennel Club. So we were advised this person.

We contacted him, explained what we are looking for, The breeder asked us to pay FULL amount of money referring his guarantees to his status of International Dog Shows Judge. Also, he is a member of the Hungarian Kennel Club and FCI. We checked this info via the other judges. So, we paid the full amount of money via Barclay Bank.

After receiving our payment, he changed the date of delivery of the puppy for 29th March(Brexit day=boarder problems), sent to us false documents for the puppy's parents, ignored our requests for updates on the puppy's vaccinations and preparation for a journey, did not book a place for the puppy with a Pet travel company, mislead us on the compulsory in the EU PRA CORD test for Dachshunds. He asked us to pay for the test. In addition, the breeder started to talk about border quarantine (if a dog has not correct documents and vaccinations). Moreover, he started to press on us to pay for puppy travel to a private person without providing any documents for the puppy. It became clear to us that something very wrong is going on. I made a list of all points regarding the puppy and documents, and asked him to comment on each point. We also mentioned that if he will not be able to give us an explanation on each poin, then would like to get our money back. Instead of comments, this person called us "stupido", "stupid head" and said, that he will not pay anything back and if we will not pay for puppy travel he will give it to somebody else. In addition, he said, that we must pay for every day of the puppy in his kennel 50 EUR.
At the UK dog show, we mentioned to other breeders that we bought a puppy from Hungary and even did not mentioned the breeder name, but his name strait away was told by other breeders and they said about their own bad experience of dealing with this breeder. They said, that this breeder name is already well known in UK in a very bad way.
We contacted Barclay bank and they contacted the breeder bank in Hungary. Hungarian bank said, that the breeder refused to refund any money.
We contacted the Hungarian Kennel Club and FCI. Awaiting their reply.

Please, no nasty comments we already very frustrated and need advice on what else we can do in this situation?

Many thanks.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll probably need to sue in the Hungarian courts. You'll have to decide whether that's worth even starting.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Barclays Bank contacted the Hungarian bank?
    What method of payment did you use?
    How much?
    I'm confused.
    You checked him out with what kind of uk judges?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Other than pursuing the breeder through the Hungarian legal system whether civilly or criminally if the dog don't turn up your money is gone.
  • asus1987
    asus1987 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    though this wont help get the puppy, but you need not worry about this 50 euro a day, cant exactly take it from you can they,
    Why abroad for this puppy, my first google search ( i know nothing about dogs)

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118733073/kaninchen-dachshund-girl-kc-registered-reserved.html?link=%2Fclassifieds%2Fpets%2Fdogs%2Fall%2Fuk%2Fmicro%2Bdachshund

shows some in UK at least?

There is probably not a lot you can do? but for starters what details do you have of this individual, other than an account number?
    real name?
    read address?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Barclays Bank contacted the Hungarian bank?
    What method of payment did you use?
    How much?
    I'm confused.
    You checked him out with what kind of uk judges?

I'm guessing payment was a bank transfer.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 March 2019 at 11:13PM
    Options
    Your money is gone unless you fancy going to court for.

I'm a little confused why you would buy from a guy you haven't met and in Hungary of all places, there's reputable sellers actually in the uk.

Should never buy anything like a pet from a Facebook group.

Apologies OP I'm not a dog owner but who is the FCI ?
  • hollydays
    Options
    I'm guessing payment was a bank transfer.

I guessed that, it's the OP who needs to confirm.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    who is the FCI ?
    Google is your friend...(the global Kennel Club, effectively)

OP, I agree with the above comments that your only option is to pursue legal action in Hungary. Whether that's worthwhile depends largely on how much money you're trying to recover, as you'll probably have to pay professionals to pursue it on your behalf. If other people have encountered this guy before, can you find out whether they've managed to extract money out of him?
  • hollydays
    edited 14 March 2019 at 11:18PM
    Options
    Dog breeders in Hungary.
    9 out of ten pure breed dogs come from puppy farms.
    https://thehoundproject.com/puppy-mills-in-hungary/

And
    https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/news-events/issues-campaigns/puppy-smuggling/puppy-smuggling-scandal

"Number of Hungarian vets willing to and admitting to falsifying papers: 3 out of 3 met
    Number of Hungarian breeders and dealers who would or had sold under age puppies to the UK: 6 out of 8 met
    Number of puppy transporters met: 1"
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have no advice on how you even start to get your money back, but for goodness’ sake it’s known by anyone vaguely interested in dogs that you should never buy a dog online and should always visit the litter in their own home and see the parents. Please take more care about how you acquire a dog because as well as throwing your own money away you’re helping dodgy breeders make money, often through poor treatment of the animals.

The “breeder” is irresponsible but for them to make money they need irresponsible potential owners. You are the latest of many.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport