Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,665 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a DB pension from my first job that will give me £1600 pa at 60 but the rest for us is DC. I am putting in just under £40k via Sal sac now (latestarter in catch-up mode) and OH is adding well over £30k (harder to tell exactly as he can Sal sac his bonus). OH gets the employer NI too.
    He did start talking last night about brexit and needing to pay off the mortgage if interest rates rose rapidly - a reminder of the basic maths around tax/NI relief soon knocked that on the head :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Not sure what you refer to as attack. We are both effectively salary sacrifice so save income tax plus NI.

Annual allowance constantly dropping, often without notice, "special" annual allowance being brought in for one year only, lifetime allowance dropping, annual allowance taper, all a big pain.

I was earning far more than my wife and we wanted to save as much of my salary as we could, but often saw big tax bills, and tracking everything was a pain.

There was also the constant threat of tax free lump sum being capped and/or tax relief being restricted, so we grabbed the 25% as soon as we could!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LTA in increasing.
    I don’t have massive sympathy for people who can afford more than £40k annual. Morally there should be limits as it fundamental the wealthy subsidise the less well off.

The only thing that does annoy is trying to plan with the goal posts constantly moving.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    There was also the constant threat of tax free lump sum being capped and/or tax relief being restricted, so we grabbed the 25% as soon as we could!
    Same here - I started to activate drawdown the weekend after my 55th birthday and took the 25% as soon as I could. I actually thought 'ha ha, got it!' when it hit my account!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • tigerspill
    tigerspill Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy a copy of Tim Hale's "Smarter Investing" as it's very readable, very practical, and will be the best money you've ever spent.

Great book. It was what got me started.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    LTA in increasing.

After year upon year of massive drops, it's starting to creep up with inflation. I hit a £20k tax charge to my pension for no other reason than LTA dropping and sterling also dropping due to Brexit.
    I don’t have massive sympathy for people who can afford more than £40k annual.
    The "special" annual allowance was £30k, and tapering can reduce what you can contribute to £10k pa.

I had an unexpected bonus during my final year of employment, stopped contributing to my pension straight away, but still hit a £3k charge for exceeding my annual allowance.
    The only thing that does annoy is trying to plan with the goal posts constantly moving.
    Yes, it's like trying to walk during an earthquake and it's no wonder that some turn their backs on pensions.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,068 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would be interesting to know how many are aiming for (or who have achieved) early retirement without any DB pensions? Given how DC is under pretty much continuous attack from the tax man, it's a difficult thing to achieve, and I found it hard despite a healthy income.

Being a single income household seems to make it very hard especially with the 40k AA.

So DWs pension gets 3.6pa and I mine gets 40 then we live off mid 30s and hopefully will be able to retire on a similar amount for life at 55 - although the main problem will be tax as the vast majority will be in my name. A tactical divorce seems to be the best option…..
    I think....
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Being a single income household seems to make it very hard especially with the 40k AA.

Yup, I reckon DC can work well if both partners are in decent jobs as annual income of £40k-£50k-£60k each is according to HMG "doing a great job, keep it up!" whereas a single £100k+ is "nasty person, must punish!"
    A tactical divorce seems to be the best option…..

I did mention that. Once.

Pleasingly my wife just had some surprise income of around £10k that's been lobbed into her pension for the good old "tax relief despite no tax paid" thing.

As for tax, with PCLS, personal allowance, and full 20% bracket, I'm on around 12% tax with no NI, so not too bothered TBH. Once state pension starts to trickle in 10+ years down the line, it will cover my tax bill!

• Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LTA in increasing.
    I don’t have massive sympathy for people who can afford more than £40k annual. Morally there should be limits as it fundamental the wealthy subsidise the less well off.

I used to think that before I contemplated putting 75% of my salary into a pension and thought that it would take me over the £40k allowance.

Perhaps the people contributing £40k per year are just prioritising saving rather than saving as a bi-product of being "rich"?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,068 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yup, I reckon DC can work well if both partners are in decent jobs as annual income of £40k-£50k-£60k each is according to HMG "doing a great job, keep it up!" whereas a single £100k+ is "nasty person, must punish!"

I did mention that. Once.

Pleasingly my wife just had some surprise income of around £10k that's been lobbed into her pension for the good old "tax relief despite no tax paid" thing.

As for tax, with PCLS, personal allowance, and full 20% bracket, I'm on around 12% tax with no NI, so not too bothered TBH. Once state pension starts to trickle in 10+ years down the line, it will cover my tax bill!

Got me thinking now, we earn some rent a room income which is less than 7495 so ignored for tax purposes but what if instead DW was self employed running a 'board and lodgings' business then it could be earned income and thus could go into her pension with the tax relief....
    I think....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure