We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit Hire Court Summons - Experiences?

Options
124»

Comments

• Claire123456
    Options
    Omg I could have wrote this thread! A year an a half ago our parked car was driven into by a council refuse truck. We haven’t heard anything for months and received a call today advising we are being persued by the hire company for the cost of the hire car. We had it for 11 weeks and as it’s a registered private hire vehicle the cost amounts to £25,000 🙈 naively we assumed our AMC would deal with things but after contacting them they have basically said it’s up to us to deal with it. Wondering how you got on with your case.
    We don’t know where to go next with it 🤷🏽!♀️
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »

They charge a very hefty premium for loaning you the car on credit and part of that is for them taking the risk they won't get paid.

This is the crux of it, isn't it?

If the company pursue one party or the other for the hire car costs, there is no chance at all that they won't get paid.
  • vn0210
    Options
    Hi, can you elaborate on you experience as I am in a similar situation. It will help
  • RLH123
    RLH123 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    After receiving a PM I realised I never let you all know the outcome!

The day before I was due in court I received a text message (!) to let me know it had been settled and the case was closed.

After all that drama and stress... that was it. No court attendance required and I didn’t have to pay a penny.

I hope the people who posted above have a similar outcome. Needless to say, I will never, ever be dealing with an AMC again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport