Hospital Appointment Transport

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Goodness knows what will happen if I need care when I get on a bit as I wouldn't be able to afford it - It is quite worrying all of this.

I do find it a tad depressing - going to visit but I have known her for about 20 years and feel I should as I don't think she has any other visitors.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    choille wrote: »
    It's the lady herself who is mentioning the costs & lack of chiropodist to me.
    I'd encourage her to talk to her family about these things: even if they are not able to visit they will hopefully want to keep in touch and ensure she is getting the care that she needs.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Just wondered, did you make sure that the care home staff know you are an ex-neighbour. If you are her only visitor, could they think you are a relative?
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GreenQueen wrote: »
    Just wondered, did you make sure that the care home staff know you are an ex-neighbour. If you are her only visitor, could they think you are a relative?

They know. They also know her only living relative is not interested and lives a few hundred miles away and didn't go to the ladies late husband's funeral.
    It's quite sad really.
  • choille wrote: »
    They know. They also know her only living relative is not interested and lives a few hundred miles away and didn't go to the ladies late husband's funeral.
    It's quite sad really.

That is so sad. Very kind of you, Choille, to visit her. However it is NOT your responsibility to pick up the slack from her relative or the care home, however much pressure is put on you to make you feel guilty. You are already doing more than many others would (or are).
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • No it’s not petty. I’ll tell you why they’ve done it (not read it all yet so someone else might have) but they pay x towards the accommodation and staffing between them. When they have appointments/ days out they’ll have to pay one to one care at around £15 an hour ish.

So the care home is guilt tripping you into it as they might not want to pay the one to one, or if they have to bill the lady they often then have to go through the social worker so it can be authorised. So it’s why they will do it. Plus the lady will prob have to pay a taxi or transport. But there should be a bit of give for appointments or they should be able to say they can’t get there and try and either get home visits or appointments closer
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    choille wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I just do feel sorry for her really but would have thought that with the fess they are getting they would take care of all that side of things and not worry her with it.
    It seems that the chiropodist is ill and they want £30 for someone to cut her toe nails which I also thought was rather strange as I thought that that would be done free on the NHS.
    This is all an eye opener to me.

I’ve got a diabetic friend and even he has to get his wife to do his now. They’ve scaled all stuff like this right back. £30 seems excessive mind
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pay one to one care at around £15 an hour ish.

You've never worked in a care home. Try NMW or possibly £1.50 above that an hour for a senior carer.

They may charge £15 p/h but they don't pay it.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    74jax wrote: »
    I think that is ridiculous. Why would she do that, its of no interest to her...

No need to ask what contraception they use.... Ridiculous.

QUOTE]

Serious irony failure here! :cool:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The care home just up the road from me has one of the those Kango van/cars and uses it to transport residents.

They have a part-time worker driving, although I'm not sure what happens about someone to accompany the resident.

OP, if the member of staff had any idea where you live, it was a downright cheek to ask you to take your friend.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure