Money Moral Dilemma: What should I do with forgotten change?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
Sometimes when I use a supermarket self-service checkout, I discover a previous customer (no longer on the premises) has omitted to collect their change. Should I leave the money where it is, alert a shop supervisor, pocket it or give it to charity?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pass it to the person who is there 'helping', carry on and then leave.

Next?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alert the store worker who monitors them.

Anything else is theft (apart from just leaving it there).
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yet again another nonsense ‘moral’ dilemma.

It’s not a moral dilemma, it’s do I commit theft or not. That’s a legal issue, not a ‘moral dilemma’!
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it is less than a pound I would just put it in the charity pot.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Why not mention pocketing it ? An awful lot of people contributing here have suggested by their choices that their morals would not put them above this .

Yes - so let's hear it for just putting it in your pocket and walking out - come on all you who stand your ground on clever returns and sales and wear-once-and-return and gifts and all that supposedly allowed-by-law but cheaty stuff .

Where do you stand here ? Which of these honest options would you go for - or would what you call your morals cave in once again and "It's OK because somebody walked out on their change so it doesn't really count"?

Is it OK to take it ? Let's hear you - be honest - at least for once !
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    I hadn't noticed see the "Pocket it" option - might have guessed that might be troubling our supposed contributor !

What a world we make for ourselves !
  • Wakeupandgo
    Options
    Technically not theft. If you take reasonable steps to return the money (which can anything from looking around to asking people whether it’s theirs) if it’s a small amount would it be reasonable to ask everyone exiting whether it’s their money? No.

Although morally, you should probably give it to the shop assistant.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    M'lord.

I refer you to paragraph 6, section 8, Clause 7....

Finders, keepers.

( no different to when you see an abandoned trolley in the car park, take it back and keep the pound :-) )
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    and before anyone judges me your talking to the man who once saw a pensioner try and withdrawal £200 from a cashpoint and he thought it didn't come out.

started to drive off before I stood in front his car waving at his cash!
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I'm amazed at your cheek in asking this - the good and honest thing to do is to bring it to the attention of the person working in that area, a member of the store staff and give it to them so if the person does come back, it's there for them to collect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure