Venue Hire Deposit

Good Evening all,

I hired a hall for my child's first birthday party in a soft play hall, I had to secure this with a £50 deposit of which I was told I would get back on the day of the party providing no damages were occured. The party was carried out without any form of damage or missing items, as soon as the venue owner returned she immediately started counting the soft play balls and said that there were some missing and lots of them had disappeared (before she had even counted them). The lady also stated that shoes were not to be worn on the soft play mats yet she was wearing trainers all over the mats leaving marks. The lady then tried to say that the children from my party had left food stains on the mats however they were already there and she was refusing to give me my deposit back. In my eyes it appears that she has delibrately found excuses to not give my £50 back and it appears that she had intentions on doing this.

I would like to know where I stand with this matter if she still continues to refuse to give my deposit back.

Thanks

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you looked at other people's reviews
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    On the mat, I guess? :D

Ask her for evidence of the problems. If she won't play ball, don't be soft, issue a LBA and see her in court.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you have any before photos that may show the stains?

Where did the kids eat? If it wasn't on the mats I'm sure you've a few witnesses.
  • She claims there are stains of choclate on the mats however these were already there and she also claimed there was choclate in the circle ball pit...I just can't afford loose £50 at times like this and with 2 children as a single parent she wasn't willing to give my deposit back and even told me that I should come back tomorrow (Meaning today) then in the next breath started saying that she wasn't in until Tuesday...then she started telling me that he was her hall and that she would see how long it took her to tidy up even though we had already done this for her!
  • Teek2018 wrote: »
    She claims there are stains of choclate on the mats however these were already there and she also claimed there was choclate in the circle ball pit...I just can't afford loose £50 at times like this and with 2 children as a single parent she wasn't willing to give my deposit back and even told me that I should come back tomorrow (Meaning today) then in the next breath started saying that she wasn't in until Tuesday...then she started telling me that he was her hall and that she would see how long it took her to tidy up even though we had already done this for her!

I would imagine it's reasonable to assume if you have this kind of venue for young children's parties that a bit of mess is going to happen and I don't think that can be classed as "damage" (I assume plastic mats which chocolate could be wiped off of).

If the deposit detailed was a cleaning fee that may be different.

If she claims balls are missing (are we taking about these small, hollow plastic balls?) that sounds petty and £50 would buy you 800 balls on eBay.

Letter before action for the deposit with no further discussion would be best.

Based on the above either the kids smeared chocolate over everything and stole a ton of balls or the venue owner is being unreasonable.
  • So I have recieved a text from her this afternoon stating she will not be returning my deposit under any circumstances as the soft play equiptment had glitter, food and confetti on. She also claims that the soft play balls were missing and that my party were absusive and made threats towards her of which was a bald claim as this did in no way take place. I have replied stating about the poor hygine of the hall even more so because its used a nursery and that I will be taking these matters further. I will also be writing a letter demanding the deposit back and evidence of legal binding signed agreements or terms and conditions of which were definitely not provided.

I also have another query because she provided us with a bouncy castle but in no way was the bouncy castle supervised by any members of trained staff isn't there a new law stating that the bouncy castle must be manned by trained persons when in operation.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forget the bouncy castle thing.

Simply small claims for the £50.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Teek2018 wrote: »
    I also have another query because she provided us with a bouncy castle but in no way was the bouncy castle supervised by any members of trained staff isn't there a new law stating that the bouncy castle must be manned by trained persons when in operation.
    I agree with Comms69. Just put the claim in. She's not entertained your requests to date so you only have that option left.

Don't start trying to score points by complaining about hygiene and health and safety. If you were so concerned about hygiene and the safety of your guests, did you cancel the party? Did you stop everyone from using the bouncy castle? If not, you can't really make credible retrospective complaints about them in response to not getting your deposit back.
  • Someone left something at the hall and requires me to collect it from them tomorrow so going to ask for anything she may have in writing that I signed of which i know she won't have and will be interested to see what she says as I have already asked and she failed to reply to me about it. I will update you all! Thank you
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Teek2018 wrote: »
    Someone left something at the hall and requires me to collect it from them tomorrow so going to ask for anything she may have in writing that I signed of which i know she won't have and will be interested to see what she says as I have already asked and she failed to reply to me about it. I will update you all! Thank you

As already stated, no further discussion would be best..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure