EON Smart Meters

dreamypuma
dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm looking to switch to EON on a tariff which makes installation of a Smart Meter conditional. I understand that certain suppliers have been given authority to continue installing SMETS1 meters until the end of March. If EON offer me a SMETS1 meter, can I decline this in favour of a SMETS2?

Avoiding SMETS1 Meter installation is the primary reason I have avoided our cheapest fixed price supply option, LUMO. (as well as mixed feedback), so i'm really keen to ensure only a SMETS2 meter is installed.
My farts hospitalize small children :o

Comments

• If the contact states that you must let E.ON install a smart meter then it is up to them which version they install.
    You agreed to that term of the contract in return for a lower cost tariff.
    If you refuse, they will enforce the contract which will tell you how much more you will be billed for your refusal to follow the T&Cs of the contract.
  • dreamypuma
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    If the contact states that you must let E.ON install a smart meter then it is up to them which version they install.
    You agreed to that term of the contract in return for a lower cost tariff.
    If you refuse, they will enforce the contract which will tell you how much more you will be billed for your refusal to follow the T&Cs of the contract.

Thanks for your speedy response. This is pretty much what I thought, and makes perfect sense. I guess I'll hold fire until April.

Are EON actually installing SMETS2 in any anger, or are the big 6 just depleting all old stock, and awaiting SMETS2 supply chains to open up?
  • If the warehouse has SMETS1 meters in stock then that is what is generally being installed.
    The companies have a target to get meters installed set by Government. But it is just for a smart meter so they will try to use up old stock SMETS1 first.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dreamypuma wrote: »
    I'm looking to switch to EON on a tariff which makes installation of a Smart Meter conditional. I understand that certain suppliers have been given authority to continue installing SMETS1 meters until the end of March. If EON offer me a SMETS1 meter, can I decline this in favour of a SMETS2?

Avoiding SMETS1 Meter installation is the primary reason I have avoided our cheapest fixed price supply option, LUMO. (as well as mixed feedback), so i'm really keen to ensure only a SMETS2 meter is installed.
    dreamypuma wrote: »
    Thanks for your speedy response. This is pretty much what I thought, and makes perfect sense. I guess I'll hold fire until April.

Are EON actually installing SMETS2 in any anger, or are the big 6 just depleting all old stock, and awaiting SMETS2 supply chains to open up?

Hello dreamypuma and you can certainly turn down smart meters of whatever type.

We're looking to fit SMETS2 smart meters wherever possible. We started rolling them out last year and are putting in more and more. There are still some situations where it's not possible to fit smart meters and we're working to sort these.

At the moment, we can't say specifically if a smart meter will be SMETS2 until the technician visits. As I say, wherever possible it will be.

Customers moving to tariffs linked to smart meters agree we can talk to them about having these meters. As above, it might not be possible to fit them and this won't affect their tariff as they'll be able to stay on it. Also, smart meters are optional and customers can turn them down. At this point, our advisor will talk about the options available at that particular time.

These tariffs are available to customers who already have smart meters too.

Hope this explains dreamypuma.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dreamypuma
    edited 16 March 2019 at 9:35AM
    Hello dreamypuma and you can certainly turn down smart meters of whatever type.

We're looking to fit SMETS2 smart meters wherever possible. We started rolling them out last year and are putting in more and more. There are still some situations where it's not possible to fit smart meters and we're working to sort these.

At the moment, we can't say specifically if a smart meter will be SMETS2 until the technician visits. As I say, wherever possible it will be.

Customers moving to tariffs linked to smart meters agree we can talk to them about having these meters. As above, it might not be possible to fit them and this won't affect their tariff as they'll be able to stay on it. Also, smart meters are optional and customers can turn them down. At this point, our advisor will talk about the options available at that particular time.

These tariffs are available to customers who already have smart meters too.

Hope this explains dreamypuma.

Malc

Thanks for the reply. I have now switched to EON. My understanding is that after 15th March providers are no longer permitted to install SMETS1 meters.

Does this now mean that EON can assure that a SMETS1 meter will not be installed?
  • Hi.
    I changed to EON a few weeks ago and arranged to have smart meters fitted after the 15th March because I wanted SMETS2 meters fitted.
    Ive just checked with EON to make sure that the new meters would be SMETS2. The lady at the booking centre informed me that there is no certainty that I will get SMETS2. I questioned her about the cut off date for fitting SMETS1. She told me that there is no cut off date and I might get SMETS1.
    I have cancelled the installation due to this.

Was she correct? Are energy suppliers still allowed to install SMETS1 meters?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    My advice would be to wait until the DCC network is up and running excepting all switching customers' without and any problems' ironed out and fully SMETS2 compliant.

I have been having problems here British Gas phoned and informed to me theres been a few people reporting the same problem and would recontact when a resolution is found.My worry is if there are further problems in the future the DCC will be another link in the chain and will the problem be with the DCC or the supplier and does the customer have any direct contact with the DCC,a situation could possibly arise where one could blame the other for a fault and a time consuming trace would be needed and a communication breakdown between the two could also arise.

When I was outside with the engineer it was all data streaming on meter displays,its incredibly complex process,a solution isn't always immediately found to a problem and there adoption and enrolement for SMETS1 customers to face. Here the supply at least remains on thats the main thing,the days of simply taking a meter reading from a dial are coming to an end.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When my smart meter was smart I still took a weekly meter reading - just in case.

I still do it now because it isn't smart anymore and I'll continue to do it in the unlikely event that it becomes smart again in the future.

I'll also continue keeping my own spreadsheet and I'll also check and download my bills and statements every month to ensure that they are correctly using actual readings and that my account is on track.

I'll then know immediately if anything is going wrong and can hopefully get it sorted out before it becomes a big problem.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure