Have I be scammed?

13»

Comments

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Looks like you've been "scammed" out of £3 so far, hope she paid for your coffee!

;)

As suggested, the only real risk here is she is going to try to launder money via your bank account, so if strange payments start arriving, report it to the bank and don't touch the money or you could get prosecuted for it.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ColdIron wrote: »
    How would this 'dodgy person' discover your contact details?
    Vet wrote: »
    an online friend, perhaps?

OP said he met the woman online, so she has at least his online contact details.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    [/LIST]
    OK, what if all banks started to show full account details to everyone? Then you could send money back to the same account from which the money was originally sent to you? Would that be considered a fraud in any way?
    Why would it be fraud if you paid back money you received in error? Although it would be smarter to ask the bank, in writing, to return unexpected money, to put it on record that you have nothing to do with the transaction.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    It is the world we are living in.. if you are unlucky enough to receive money from a suspect destination into your account it will be blocked by the bank who may take weeks to sort it out before it's unblocked again. several threads on this board
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with others, if this is your only account, open another elsewhere in case you receive a dodgy payment and the account gets temporarily frozen when the bank investigates.
  • Can think of one potential reason to ask you to send a payment, since some banks don't require 2nd factor to sent a payment you've paid before. If they had installed a key logger on your computer they may already have your online banking passwords, and could possibly sent more money from your account to theirs.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Would seem an odd scam, scammers try to stay anonymous. Where as the OP now knows what she looks like, and also i assume has her mobile number/added on social media in order for them to arrange the meet.
  • HappyUser wrote: »
    Hello,

I met a woman online and we went for a coffee.
    I thought we were becoming friends, so when she told me today that she is 'at the bank' and she tries to open a 'barclays account' and asked me to send £3 to the account below, I thought I could help.
    I just checked now that she lied and the account is from Monzo.
    Now, they know my full name and bank account details. Is there a risk? What should I do?

This might seem a bit 'left field' but have you thought of actually asking her about it!
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A couple of questions which may help or raise alarms

1. Did this woman approach you online first?
    2. Is this woman a person who would normally be interested in you?
    3. Was there much discussion about finances before you met, or work?
    4. Does the woman live local to you?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    This might seem a bit 'left field' but have you thought of actually asking her about it!

Always difficult to ask anything of someone who is a figment of your vivid imagination...but OP can always make up a reply he likes the sound of!
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure