Have I be scammed?

Options
HappyUser
HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
edited 7 January 2019 at 9:56PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hello,

I met a woman online and we went for a coffee.
I thought we were becoming friends, so when she told me today that she is 'at the bank' and she tries to open a 'barclays account' and asked me to send £3 to the account below, I thought I could help.
I just checked now that she lied and the account is from Monzo.
Now, they know my full name and bank account details. Is there a risk? What should I do?

Comments

• frolic
    frolic Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Why would she know your bank account details if you sent her money?
  • NewToTheUkAgain
    Options
    She won’t know your account details usually unless you shared them.

Plus just your name and account details she couldn’t do too much with.
  • SlovakianGuy
    Options
    frolic wrote: »
    Why would she know your bank account details if you sent her money?

Monzo shows you a sort code and an account number from which you've received payment.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sounds vey dodgy to me, she said Barclays and there was no need to lie about it.
  • alphabravocharli
    alphabravocharli Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2019 at 11:18PM
    Options
    As someone suggested that in Monza you can see account number then you should be careful if she send some money in your account, dont touch it, dont take out and dont send back. Contact the bank and tell them this is not your money. Also i think prevention will be much better. Call the bank and explain situation to them how you are being played.

If they try to use you for money laundering, then you have some proof of innocence that you yourself informed the bank.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Monzo does indeed provide the bank details of the person sending the payment.

You're about to be used for money laundering which is going to cause you a lot of problems.

Open a new account with another bank ASAP and transfer some money there for use when your account is frozen.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow what a dangerous world we live in.

Could you tell your bank and ask them to switch you to different account number though I wouldn't definitely follow dj1471's advice and make sure you have contingency outside of your current bank.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2019 at 9:11AM
    Options
    You could contact the woman if you can and tell her not to send any money, or that you have changed accounts of whatever. Prevention than cure etc.

Very interesting about Monzo I didn't know they showed one's account details to recipients - maybe contact Monzo and explain how dangerous this is......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why would you do that?

If indeed this is a true story...
  • NewToTheUkAgain
    Options
    Perhaps the lady was indeed opening a Barclays Account.

Perhaps she wanted you to send to her Monzo, so the transfer to her new account could appear from herself rather than a random name.

Definitely reason to be vigilant, but I’m assuming if you’ve been talking to someone for some time and met them for coffee, maybe she considered you a friend and we don’t always need to assume the worse in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure