PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Splitting housing costs

Options
I will be renting myspare bedroom out soon, just wondered what is a fair method of calculating the price.
If you own the house, how would you split the costs with a partner or lodger?

I pay £300 per month mortgage, but not sure that is relevant.

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it a large bedroom?
    Does it have en suite?

Check it against other prices in your area on spareroom.co.uk
    https://www.spareroom.co.uk/
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2018 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Most people don't split or share costs. They charge the local going rate.

However, you can take whatever approach you like to calculate a price & may end up subsidizing your lodgers or pricing yourself out of the market.

Depending on what you charge you may have to pay more income tax or have any benefits impacted. MOST UK adults get some benefit, I'm not implying anything about your good self.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I will be renting myspare bedroom out soon, just wondered what is a fair method of calculating the price.
    If you own the house, how would you split the costs with a partner or lodger?

I pay £300 per month mortgage, but not sure that is relevant.

Which is it, a partner or a lodger as they are very different things?

A partner can be anything as it's whatever you agree. Typically though what your costs are is relevant as you choose something fair bearing in mind they aren't building equity so perhaps should pay less than you, but would need to pay to live somewhere so just half the bills is a little low. However opinions differ and there's isn't one right answer.

A lodger is a business arrangement and your costs are irrelevant. You look at what you are offering and what is the going rate in the area. Then decide what you'll accept and see if someone you woukd be happy to live with accepts that.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kynthia wrote: »
    You look at what you are offering and what is the going rate in the area. Then decide what you'll accept and see if someone you woukd be happy to live with accepts that.

I have had some interest on spareroom.com but none has been succesful.
    I have now paid £100+ to spareroom for them to promote my room and that allows anyone to contact me. I am wondering if £300 per month is too cheap.
    I have a dog, which may be a negative to some renters, but I live in LS27 which is an ok area, but not a city center.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The size of the room, furniture in the room, dounle bed with storage underneath, wardrobe double ( mirror fronted) chest of drawers.
    Good quality photos and a floor plan.
    Use of the garden, lounge/Kitchen and if parking is available all count.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I have had some interest on spareroom.com but none has been succesful.
    I have now paid £100+ to spareroom for them to promote my room and that allows anyone to contact me. I am wondering if £300 per month is too cheap.
    I have a dog, which may be a negative to some renters, but I live in LS27 which is an ok area, but not a city center.
    there are currently 19 ads for rooms in Ls27
    all are priced between £300 - £500 pcm
    if you have had no interest at £300 then raising your price is not going to help matters. Your lack of takeup is down to other factors - did you get any feedback at all?
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not look up LHA room rate and use that as your minimum? Then add say £15 a week for bills?
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    Your lack of takeup is down to other factors - did you get any feedback at all?

I did have one person view, so I put the others off, then he backed out because of allergies and me having a pet.
    I have had a message today, although the person seems younger than I was looking for.

The LHA is £62.31
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * check the market rate locally
    * take into acount size of room
    * consider whether you are restricting your lodger to bedroom/bathroom and kitchen (at set times?) or giving free rein of whole house (can charge more)
    * decor, heating, facilities all affect what you can charge
    * is there off-road parking? Wifi?
    * are you charging on top for utilities/council tax or all-inclusive?
    * do you expect the lodger to share cleaning? Whole house?Just their room?
    * food? Will you share basics (tea coffee, washing upliquid)? Share the cost or they just use what's there? Or buy their own
    * can they have visitors? Overnight?

All the above affect the overall 'market value' as the above will all affect how attractive your property is compared to others locally.

Did you say 'dog'? Well, at least your lodger won't go hungry......
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really need to sell this room to a new lodger and I'm not sure that you're doing that right now.

No one needs to know your personal circumstances, but they do need to know about things like what the rest of the house is like, if they have free run of the lounge and kitchen, is there a bath and/or a shower, what's the parking like, what sort of wifi? The list goes on.

Look at what other adverts have included, try to sound professional and add a few photos of the rest of the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport