The seller now wants more money

Comments

• Firstly I would like to clarify that my dad had a stroke in July 2016.

Previous to this he was fit and healthy. He rode his bike everyday. So definitely not ready for the scrap heap any time soon.
    The reason we kept it for so long was because my self and my siblings hoped my dad would recover. Sadly this was not the case. He will never speak again let alone ride he bike.

Eddie took advantage of an old lady of 81yesrs old. Who no longer could look at a reminder that her son will never be the same.

A year before he offered £1500 which we declined as he wanted to £100 a month as we do not know him we didn’t knie if he would pay and wanted to take the bike upfront. So if anyone was try to fill any one it wasn’t the nice old lady and her granddaughter.

When he went to my nans he turned up with £300 and told her that’s all it is worth : she asked for more money he said NO, he knew she was vulnerable and didn’t have a clue about bikes. Said he didn’t have any more money and it wasn’t worth more than that.

The thing is we only sell his items to help pay for his treatment. Such as speak therapy and a personal trainer. Any more we get we use to help him.

Basically EDDIE has robbed a disabled man and an elderly lady.

I believe in Karma..... actually he got her to sign the paper work so he could get away with day light robbery. as my dad is under the court of protection. Which means he can’t sign anything or make decisions and I am the only person. Who can legally do that.

We went to the police and basically my Nan would be arrested because of his despicable behaviour.

I know I can sleep at night. I hope what happened to my dad doesn’t happen to him and some robs his family and takes away funds that he need to get better.
  • Karma123 Firstly I would like to clarify that my dad had a stroke in July 2016.

Previous to this he was fit and healthy. He rode his bike everyday. So definitely not ready for the scrap heap any time soon.
    The reason we kept it for so long was because my self and my siblings hoped my dad would recover. Sadly this was not the case. He will never speak again let alone ride he bike.

Eddie took advantage of an old lady of 81yesrs old. Who no longer could look at a reminder that her son will never be the same.

A year before he offered £1500 which we declined as he wanted to £100 a month as we do not know him we didn’t knie if he would pay and wanted to take the bike upfront. So if anyone was try to fill any one it wasn’t the nice old lady and her granddaughter.

When he went to my nans he turned up with £300 and told her that’s all it is worth : she asked for more money he said NO, he knew she was vulnerable and didn’t have a clue about bikes. Said he didn’t have any more money and it wasn’t worth more than that.

The thing is we only sell his items to help pay for his treatment. Such as speak therapy and a personal trainer. Any more we get we use to help him.

I believe in Karma..... actually he got her to sign the paper work so he could get away with day light robbery. as my dad is under the court of protection. Which means he can’t sign anything or make decisions and I am the only person. Who can legally do that.

We went to the police and basically my Nan would be arrested because of his despicable behaviour.

I know I can sleep at night. I hope what happened to my dad doesn’t happen to him and some robs his family and takes away funds that he need to get better.
    10-08-2018 10:59 AM
  • Karma123 Firstly I would like to clarify that my dad had a stroke in July 2016.

• We did not agree the offer we were on holiday.

Maybe EDDIE should try using facts instead of lies.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Karma123 wrote: »

No, he paid what it was worth to him, in its then current condition. A scrap merchant would have taken it away and given nothing.

The reason it is worth more than £300 now is because of the time effort and money he invested into it.

If you had paid professionals to restore the 'bike and then advertised and sold it, or sold it to a dealer for its restored value to the trade, likely you wouldn't have even ended up with £300 after you had paid everyones fees.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How much do you think the bike was actually worth at the time it was sold?
    Was your nan put under any pressure to sell the bike?
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So a year before the bike was worth £1500 had good battery, good chain, good tyres. Role on a year of being sat unused the tyres battery and chain are now scrap and need replacing. These are not free, we don't know the make of bike but that's at least several hundred in parts alone. Then the brakes and steering need servicing to make it safe, engine needs servicing. Then it needs to be taken for Mot. All of this either costs money in garage labour or the op's time. The op also had to factor in the risk that after a year standing the bike may have had unrepairable faults and he would lose his £300.

What would a garage have charged to restore the bike.
  • If you believe in karma, just leave karma to sort it out for you. I don’t think either side has covered themselves in glory to be honest but I cannot see how the OP forced your grandmother to sell the bike, she was clearly a willing party, even if a little uninformed.

I hope your father’s health improves, even if he’s unable to recover fully. I think it’s a good idea to chalk this mess up to experience and move on from it, otherwise it will eat away at you when you have much more important things to deal with.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's always two sides. Let's look at the middle view...

We're talking about a motorcycle that was last ridden nearly 2.5yrs ago.
    It's been sat outside since.

There's consensus that there was an agreement in principle to sell it, for £1,500, but paying by instalments (whether of £100 or £200/mo) wasn't acceptable - the date is unclear, but it's between one and two years ago.

The buyer says the owner's mother was "glad to see him", and voluntarily told him that it was heading for scrap, and to make any offer. He offered £300. That was accepted. The owner's daughter was not present for that conversation, but seems adamant that it progressed very differently - the buyer offered £300, the mother insisted on more, then accepted it anyway.

Taking all the appeal to sentiment away, this really does appear to be a question over the right to sell. If the owner doesn't have capacity to decide, and the court of protection have appointed the daughter as the only deputy, then there's a strong case that the mother did not have the right.

The police, apparently, are of the same opinion.

So how to move forward...? Will a court order the sale to be unwound? Unlikely, not least because the item is not available to be refunded in the same condition it was purchased. And does the daughter really want it back anyway?

So this is simply a dispute over the monetary value. If the bike was still road-legal and roadworthy at the time the concept of a sale for £1,500 was seemingly agreed, then it seems eminently likely that £300 is a reasonable value after an extended period of open-air storage, no longer road-legal or roadworthy. So what are we actually arguing over here? A hundred quid or two at most? And this is the biggest priority for those involved in the care of this poor guy...?

Internal contradictions in the daughter's account notwithstanding, this appears to be primarily a domestic between the owner's mother and daughter, and the buyer's just copping the flak. Sort it out, and focus on priorities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure