PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ancientofdays
    Options
    Sorry pressed button before correcting and completing, I meant to say adding to list before checking stocks.
    I also have a couple of years supply of shampoo and conditioner, simply because I like one brand which goes out of stock. And a small toothpaste mountain, plus my secret stash of nice soap which could be used if need be.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Careful, Bob!
    With delicate machinery it can be a bit of a monster

I know. Engines can also become "addicted" to it, and become harder to start without it.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    <ponders how to wean engine onto something less inflammable, shrugs & snuggles closer to teapot>
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I'm a prepper and proud of it. The Twitter Feeds (sounds like Hens cackling)/of minor, foul mouthed so-called celebrities doesn't influence me one way or another.

As MrsLurcherWalker said
    No, I will prep because I am and always have been a prepper and it makes sense to me to do so. The rest of the world can either join in or go to hell in a handcart if they so choose but I prep because I believe in prepping and really don't care what anyone else thinks of me because of it.

Very wise words MrsLW:)
    I don't prep for particular possible scenarios or events; but my full storecupboards and pantry give me a real sense of security. My parents and grandparents were great believers in self reliance, and in an increasingly fractious and difficult world I am determined to prepare my family for as many eventualities as I can.
    It has taken me months, since our kitchen refit, to restock to an extent that I feel comfortable with: and I have done so slowly and methodically simply by focusing on stocking up on one or two items each week.
    I also admit that I enjoy prepping though, it's interesting trying to second guess price rises and to try to buy now in order to circumvent them. And as I've said many times my prepping has seen us through some very difficult times in the past, has proved it's worth and will I am sure do so again in the future.:)
  • overlyconcerend
    Options
    Hi all.

I can see a few posts about people moving into a new house and stating again from scratch. I've a close friend who's current living in an airbnb waiting to complete on a new home for the first week of January.

He's basic cooking facilities and was a trained chief/catering manager prior to retirement so he's a little depressed that he's had to get rid/use up most of his 'exciting' flavourings while waiting to complete.

For his Christmas gift I'd like to put together a 'kitchen kit' of some nice herbs and spices (he has all the 'equipment' but absolutely no stores of anything) - like those 'world spice' kits. I'm sure I can do it cheaper and better quality/fresher than those kits but I'm not really much of a cook...

He cooks for himself, occasionally me (:)) and his son/DIL so not looking for huge amounts that will go stale but looking for a mix of things that will spark inspiration/be versatile to prompt him to start enjoying cooking in his new space.

Any advice on the best places and types of things to include for a nice sub-£50 gift?

Thanks in advance :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Article of interest today - for anyone still contemplating getting a wood-burning stove:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6402031/Wood-burning-stoves-emit-six-times-pollution-diesel-truck.html

A pretty comprehensive study of them - extract from book one can buy about air pollution.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 November 2018 at 9:28AM
    Options
    Not being a stove expert myself, I think it often depends on how the stove is used. People burning freshly cut wood that's still full of sap cause a lot of the problem, apparently wood has to be stored for months till it has dried out fully before burning.

Edited to add - I have now read the article which sounds reasonable, but there is no indication of the author's background, which sets my radar working. He could work for the petrochemical or nuclear industries for all we know.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It was a dead cert that the govt would hone in on woodburners, just because so many people have them. Just like they encouraged people to buy diesel cars then started upping diesel and road tax for them.
    "Emissions" are very handy for those in power, are they not....
  • The rules regarding wood stove particulate emissions are changing in 2021 I believe and many current models of stove will be OK if they are recent models and already conform to the changes that will be implemented. Older stoves may be able to be converted to the changed standard but many will not. We chose a model that already complies and will be legal when the changes are put into place. We were advised by the company that installed our new stove here that at least one stove supplier will cease trading and that the stoves from that company will not be able to be converted and that in the fullness of time even spare parts may be hard to find for existing models as this particular firm will cease trading altogether as the new rules are implemented. The stove we chose was more expensive than the others we were considering but it seemed sense to make the investment knowing that we'd meet standard changes when they happen and not have to have the conversion done if that was possible at all. We lit the stove last night and it certainly is worth every penny we paid, an investment for the future and assurance of warmth and comfort as long as we can continue to find the logs to run it.
  • Wood burning stoves emit six times pollution diesel truck.

The difference being of course, that the burning wood stove is merely returning something to the atmosphere that was removed quite recently, whereas the diesel engine is emitting something that has been locked in the oil for hundreds of millions of years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure