E.on 2604kwh used per 43days

Options
DainiusK
DainiusK Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 10 November 2018 at 4:35PM in Energy
So i've recenly ( 23sept) moved to new 2 bedroom flat with double glazing windows and all, electric heating. And just now received estimated bill from 23sept to 5nov so that add ups to 43 days. which says that they estimated that i've used 1613kwh per 43 day period. Which it thought might be estimate error, so i just checked the meter and at the moment of writing this it's 34333, the reading which was handed to me by landlord when i started my tenancy was 31729 so that adds up to 2604 kw/h used per 43 days about 450 pounds. im rarely home, heating is turned on only two times per day for 3.5 hours. There's even been a week when i had no heating at all due to boiler issues. The stuff i have is not much aswel:
1 TV, 1 Computer, 1 Fridge freezer, 1 Washing machine and few phones. All lightning is LED power savers. I have all electric heating tho with 5 radiators in the flat.

Im really distraught have no idea what's going on and how to proceed, is it possible i used that much energy per such short period ? Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 November 2018 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Are you sure that there's not a decimal point here and the readings are 0003433decimal3 and 0003172decimal9 ie 254 units ?

This is a wake up call for you - read those meters at least monthly, keep you own records, check readings against bills (do not accept estimates) and understand those bills.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • DainiusK
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Are you sure that there's not a decimal point here and the readings are 0003433decimal3 and 0003172decimal9 ie 254 units ?
    Thanks for your reply. I've just double checked and it's only 5 numbers which are 34333
  • Robin9
    edited 10 November 2018 at 4:51PM
    Options
    What sort of meter do you have - the old clock or cyclometer type, or a modern digital ?

What is your heating - usually I would expect an E7 tariff with all electric ?

You say the landlord gave you readings - you should have read your own meter and given them to the existing supplier when you moved in.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 November 2018 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Did you check the meter yourself when you moved in and give the reading to your supplier.

Never let someone else do it for you, you can't be certain that they've done it correctly.

As Robin says, read your meter yourself at least every month, keep your own records and send the reading into your suppplier. Make sure the supplier uses your readings and get any estimates corrected immediately. Do not pay an estimated bill.

It's also a good idea to download bills and statements as PDF files and save them just in case the suppliers system crashes (which they do more often that you'd expect). It's very difficult to get hold of previous bills if something goes wrong.

Spending five minute once a month checking your bills, raedings and DD's might save you hours of frustration and aggro in the future
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • DainiusK
    Options
    What sort of meter do you have - the old clock or cyclometer type, or a modern digital ?

What is your heating - usually I would expect an E7 tariff with all electric ?

You say the landlord gave you readings - you should have read your own meter and given them to the existing supplier when you moved in.

Im very bad at this kind of stuff, should've checked it myself when moved in, but trusted my landlord and that might've been very big mistake andstupid of me. Im really not sure what kind of tariff i would have is there a way i could check i do now that i have an E.ON energy plan and pay Normal tariff 16,95 per kwh
  • DainiusK
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Did you check the meter yourself when you moved in and give the reading to your supplier.

Never let someone else do it for you, you can't be certain that they've done it correctly.

As Robin says, read your meter yourself at least every month, keep your own records and send the reading into your suppplier. Make sure the supplier uses your readings and get any estimates corrected immediately. Do not pay an estimated bill.

It's also a good idea to download bills and statements as PDF files and save them just in case the suppliers system crashes (which they do more often that you'd expect). It's very difficult to get hold of previous bills if something goes wrong.

Spending five minute once a month checking your bills, raedings and DD's might save you hours of frustration and aggro in the future
    After this bill im going to check it everysingle evening and taking notes. This was my wake up call, never had any issue of this kind before in my life
  • Robin9
    Options
    It's possible the previous tenant gave a low reading to the landlord !
  • DainiusK
    Options
    It's possible the previous tenant gave a low reading to the landlord !
    I really hope that this is not true, couldn't think that a person could do such a thing. im thinking just for tonight i'll use all my electric stuff i have at home for as much as i can without bothering the neibhours and leaving heating all the way up. and see how much i'll use up and then somehow calculate what the maximum ammount i couldve used in this period
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's also possible that you are reading the wrong meter - this is common in blocks of flats.

You need to make sure the meter which you think is yours actually is the one supplying your flat and, when you have confirmed which one this is, check the serial number of the meter matches the one on the bill.

To find out the correct one, turn everything off, including fridge/freezer.

Go and look at the meter - if it's got a spinning disc the disc should not be moving.
    If a digital meter there should be a steady red light on it probably one of the top corners.

Now, fill up a kettle plug it in and turn it on.

Go back and look at meter - spinning disc should now be spinning or if digital red light should be flashing.
    If so, then you have correct meter.
  • DainiusK
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    It's also possible that you are reading the wrong meter - this is common in blocks of flats.

You need to make sure the meter which you think is yours actually is the one supplying your flat and, when you have confirmed which one this is, check the serial number of the meter matches the one on the bill.

To find out the correct one, turn everything off, including fridge/freezer.

Go and look at the meter - if it's got a spinning disc the disc should not be moving.
    If a digital meter there should be a steady red light on it probably one of the top corners.

Now, fill up a kettle plug it in and turn it on.

Go back and look at meter - spinning disc should now be spinning or if digital red light should be flashing.
    If so, then you have correct meter.
    I'll try to do it in a bit, but checked all the serial numbers and meter numbers and everything checks out so far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure