Car refund advice

Hello
I bought a second hand car but returned it the following day to the dealership as found it to have many problems . With that the dealership agreed I would be refunded within 14 days. This time has now passed and they keep making excuses to why the fefund has not been given. What can I do next ?
Thank you for any help.
Allan

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Letter before action (LBA).
  • LBA ? Can you elaborate please
  • neilmcl
    I though the post was clear. An LBA is a letter before action, informing the person you send it to what exactly you want to happen, when and the consequences if they don't comply, ie legal action.

Google it to find a suitable template.
  • A LBA.....

Dear Garage, I rejected a XYZ vehicle back to you on the 2nd day after purchase due to the following serious faults:

(bullet point and be brief of those faults)

You said that within 14 days the money would be returned to back to my bank account.
    14 days has now passed and you have failed to refund me the sum of XYZ.

I therefore serve you 14 days notice from the date of this letter to refund me the sum of XYZ. Failure to refund me WILL result in further litigation action being taken against XYZ ltd.

I urge you contact me on 00000000000 if you wish to arrange to pay in Cash in order to arrange an appointment to collect or you to deliver. Best times to call me on are 00:00-00:00.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Your Sincerely

OP
  • A LBA.....

Dear Garage, I rejected a XYZ vehicle back to you on the 2nd day after purchase due to the following serious faults:

(bullet point and be brief of those faults)

You said that within 14 days the money would be returned to back to my bank account.
    14 days has now passed and you have failed to refund me the sum of XYZ.

I therefore serve you 14 days notice from the date of this letter to refund me the sum of XYZ. Failure to refund me WILL result in further litigation action being taken against XYZ ltd.

I urge you contact me on 00000000000 if you wish to arrange to pay in Cash in order to arrange an appointment to collect or you to deliver. Best times to call me on are 00:00-00:00.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Your Sincerely

OP

Many thanks
  • Allan1985 wrote: »
    Many thanks
    post signed for keep the post office receipt youll need it for court if they refuse to give money back and say you never sent them a letter.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    post signed for keep the post office receipt youll need it for court if they refuse to give money back and say you never sent them a letter.

What if they don't sign for it?
  • neilmcl
    waamo wrote: »
    What if they don't sign for it?
    Exactly. This is the main reason why you shouldn't send legal papers/correspondence by a signed for means, it gives the receiver an opportunity not to accept it.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP how did you pay for the car?

If you paid by finance (whether finance agreement or credit card - even if you only paid a nominal amount on credit card) then contact the finance provider and start a section 75 claim (section 75 of the consumer credit act).

If you paid by debit card, start a chargeback for credit not received.

If you paid by bank transfer or cash then i'm afraid you're limited to chasing the dealer.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,204 Forumite
    Also, rather than the vague “legal action” you should tell them that a County Court claim will be made.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure