IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Claim form - parking defence content advice

Options
Good evening all.

I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some advice about defence content issued for 'claim for monies relating to a Parking Charge for parking in a private car park managed by the Claimant in breach of T+Cs. Drivers are allowed to park in accordance with T+Cs of use. APNR camera and or manual patrols are used to monitor vehicles entering + exiting the site. Debt +Damages claimed the sum of £236.00. Violation date xx/xx/2018 time in 16:46, time out 17:04.car reg, car park location given.' In addition a court fee of £25 and Legal costs of £50, taking the claim value to an amazing £325.64.

The claim came as quite a shock given I received a letter dated approx 7 weeks after the alleged violation stating 'CONFIRMATION OF CANCELLATION' . Where reference is made to recent communications with the office in respect of the Parking Contravention Enforcement Notice and {we} confirm the this Notice has been cancelled. This notice stated the same details (car park, vehicle as the initial notice).

To that end, having recent moved house and overcome major organ surgery I subsequently ignored any following letters for final payment and debt collectors communications, as to my understanding, the claim had been cancelled .... until the claim form arrived.

On reviewing the details of the communications, I now notice the PCN number from the 'confirmation of cancellation' notice is different to the PCN number of the previously issued charge notice even though the car park location and vehicle referenced are identical :(

I am the registered keeper of the vehicle, and multiple people are insured to drive the vehicle, as I was recovering from surgery at the time. I was not driving at the time of the incident(s).

This leaves me with a challenge for the defence. I can state given recent house move and recovery from major surgery meant I was less diligent digesting the content of the letters, and that I am now aware the car park in question at the time of the incident had recently changed management to a private parking company. Which wasn't fully clear until a follow up visit to the car park recently. Local residents had previously been given some flexibility when collecting, paying and loading goods, with staff helping to load cars parked in the bays.

Given the busy nature of the car parking site as a load up for the adjacent store, it became clear the the parking signs at the entrance to the car park are obscured by trade vehicles, whether they be maneuvering or loading up large and heavy goods. You enter the car park from a hill, so a van waiting to turn right to exit the car park will block the entrance sign and pay station. Perhaps where this oversight arose from the driver at the time.

Would these factors appear robust comments to include in a defence? I'd welcome any comments, and have read the NEWBIES posts so can include the points I feel relevant to this matter in the defence too.

With thanks, maziebrain.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Which PPC?

Are they pursuing you as driver or keeper?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the Date of Issue on your Claim Form?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I received a letter dated approx 7 weeks after the alleged violation stating 'CONFIRMATION OF CANCELLATION' . Where reference is made to recent communications with the office in respect of the Parking Contravention Enforcement Notice and {we} confirm the this Notice has been cancelled. This notice stated the same details (car park, vehicle as the initial notice).
    If it also referenced the same date and/or you only had ONE PCN, not several, then I think this is one of your main points of defence.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • maziebrain
    Options
    its CEL, its unclear as i dont have the initial communication, but have the final reminder where interestingly it doesnt state anything. It is probably the registered keeper.
  • maziebrain
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    If it also referenced the same date and/or you only had ONE PCN, not several, then I think this is one of your main points of defence.

Its only when I looked at the notice in detail I spotted the date is different to the date of the initial PCN. I received no communication about an additional PCN? Still think this is the heart of a defence?
  • maziebrain
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    What is the Date of Issue on your Claim Form?

17th October.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maziebrain wrote: »
    17th October.
    With a Claim Issue Date of 17th October, you needed to have done the Acknowledgement of Service by Monday 5th November. Did you do that?

If you have not done the AoS yet then do it now, this evening, by following the guidance offered in a Dropbox link from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

Having done the AoS, you then have until 4pm on Monday 19th November 2018 to file your Defence.

Less than two weeks. Loads of time to produce a good Defence, but don't leave it to the very last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as described here:

1) Print your Defence.
    2) Sign it and date it.
    3) Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4) Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5) Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6) Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7) Wait for your Directions Questionnaire and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Do that AOS now...and then look at zillions of other CEL defences that are all over the forum.
  • maziebrain
    Options
    Good evening all.

How does this sound for a defence, been working with it a little while, basically any no no's in here?

I deny I am liable for the entirety of the claim on the following grounds.

Confused Communication

1) The defendant received a letter dated 23.02.2018 confirming the cancellation of a PCN for vehicle reference x at x, x. Up to this date The Defendant had only received communication from Civil Enforcement Ltd concerning a single PCN dated 06.01.2018. The Defendant understandably assumed the communication dated 23.02.2018 referred to the violation for the same vehicle at the same location dated 06.01.2018, as no other notification of a PCN had been received. Thus, subsequent threatening communications were not acted upon. It was only on the unexpected receipt of the Claim Form, the Defendant cross checked records and noted a discrepancy in the PCN number detailed on the communication dated 23.02.2018 and that of the PCN on the claim form dated 17.10.2018.

Figure 1: Supporting image for item 1)

Broader defence items

1) The Claim Form issued on the 17th October 2018 by Civil Enforcement Ltd was not correctly filed under The Practice Direction as it was not signed by a legal person. The claim does not have a valid signature and is not a statement of truth. It states that it has been issued by Civil Enforcement Limited as the Claimant!!!8217;s Legal Representative. Practice Direction 22 requires that a statement of case on behalf of a company must be signed by a person holding a senior position and state the position. If the party is legally represented, the legal representative may sign the statement of truth but in his own name and not that of his firm or employer.

2) The claimant failed to include a copy of their written contract or any detail or reason for – non-clear particulars pertaining to this claim (Practice Directions 16 7.3 (1) and 7C 1.4 (3A refer). It is unclear as to what legal basis the claim is being made whether it be for breach of contract contractual liability, or trespass. However, it is denied the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant whether express, implied or by conduct.

3) Given the length of time, since the issue of the PCN, the Defendant has little to no recollection of the day in question. It would not be reasonable to expect a registered keeper to be able to recall the potential driver(s) of the car 10 months later. The burden rests with the Claimant to identify the driver, who is the only party potentially liable in cases where a parking firm is unable to rely upon the POFA. There are multiple people on the insurance policy for vehicle registration xxxx and other individuals, who drive this vehicle with third party insurance under their own insurance policies.

4) Henry Greenslade, lead adjudicator of POPLA in 2015 stated that !!!8220; However keeper information is obtained, there is no !!!8216;reasonable presumption!!!8217; in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver. Operators should never suggest anything of the sort.!!!8221; Schedule 4 of the POFA 2012 also states that the only sum a keeper can be pursued for (if Schedule 4 is fully complied with, and if there was a 'relevant obligation' and !!!8216;relevant contract' fairly and adequately communicated, which there was not) is the sum on the Notice to Keeper. The Notice to Keeper used by this Claimant is routinely worded in a way that can only hold a driver liable and/or the NTK will have been served outside the mandatory 14 day period set within Schedule 4 of the POFA. Whilst this is a choice a parking firm can make (effectively to serve a PCN document like those that existed pre-POFA), it means they can only hold known drivers liable, never registered keepers.

5) The Claimant has added sums to the original parking charge. The Defendant believes Civil Enforcement Ltd has inflated this claim with detailing ‘debt + damages’ as £236.00 subsequently referred to as a parking charge with an additional £14.64 in interest. The addition of £25 in court fees and legal representatives cost of £50 (please refer item 2 in this document) bring the claim total to £325.64. According to Ladak v DRC Locums UKEAT/0488/13/LA the claimant can only recover the direct and provable costs of the time spent on preparing the claim in a legal capacity, not any administration cost. The claimant has not explained how the claim has increased from the original parking notice to £325.64. If the Claimant alleges that they claim the cost of its in-house administration, these cannot be recovered - they are staff performing the task that they have been employed for and essential to the Claimant's business plan.

6) The Defendant recently visited Cxxxx car park to investigate the signage and layout. The car park at xxxxxis L shaped and is accessed by a steep single entrance/exit which is often congested with both pedestrians and vehicles. The entrance leads to Quay access along which there is parking and around the sea wall to the left as you enter the car park there are two rows of parking spaces cusped surrounded by restaurants and pubs. There is also a large homewares/hardware store ‘xxxx where customer and trade vehicles stop to load there goods into vehicles from the ground floor entrance. It is a busy town centre car park. On visiting the car park it became clear that should a car, van, SUP, or larger commercial vehicle waiting to exit the car park (so to turn right) or manoeuvring to reverse close to the exit of xxxxx, the vehicle would obscure the signage to vehicle entering from the top of the slope to the car park. It was also noted the lighting around the signage and pay and display machines is minimal. A further point on signage is that the font for the terms on the Claimant’s signage are displayed in a font which is too small to read by a passing vehicle, and is in such a position that anyone attempting to read is unable to do so easily, It is, therefore, denied the Claimant’s signages is capable of creating a legally binding contract. Please see image below.

Figure 2: Image to support item 6

7) This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. As far as it can be ascertained, based upon the vague particulars of claim, it seems reasonable to assume the driver of the vehicle did not see the signage as it would have been dark at the time of the incident (Saturday 16:46 on 6th January 2018) and it can reasonably be assumed this central town car park would have been busy with shoppers, and vehicles over the January sales period. The defendant believes this distinguishes this case from Parking Eye vs Beavis [2015] none of this applies in this material case (please refer to item 6 and associated image).

8) The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient proprietary interest in the land or the necessary authorisation form the landowner to issue parking charge notices, and to provide payment by means of litigation.

9) In summary, it is the Defendants position that given confusion arising from communications from the Claimant regarding cancellation of a PCN, the vague nature of particulars of claim, lack of transparency regarding the original of claim totals, inadequate signage, signage location and lighting and the fact the driver of the vehicle at this time has not been identified, the Court is invited to strike out this case under its own initiative using its case management powers pursuant to CPR3.4

I believe the facts in contained in the Defence are true:

Name:

Sign:

Date:
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    load there goods
    should be
    load their goods

And you do not supply evidence at defence stage. We know you want to but that comes later.
    Figure 1: Supporting image for item 1)

I would break up your larger paragraphs, aiming for no more than 3 lines per paragraph. Make the next sentences a new para or part-paragraph, e.g.

4. Henry Greenslade, lead adjudicator of POPLA in 2015 stated that ''However keeper information is obtained, there is no 'reasonable presumption' in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver. Operators should never suggest anything of the sort.''

4.1. Schedule 4 of the POFA 2012 also states that the only sum a keeper can be pursued for (if Schedule 4 is fully complied with, and if there was a 'relevant obligation' and 'relevant contract' fairly and adequately communicated, which there was not) is the sum on the Notice to Keeper ('NTK').

4.2. The NTK used by this Claimant is routinely worded in a way that can only hold a driver liable and/or the NTK will have been served outside the mandatory 14 day period set within Schedule 4 of the POFA. Whilst this is a choice a parking firm can make (effectively to serve a PCN document like those that existed pre-POFA), it means they can only hold known drivers liable, never registered keepers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport