Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 2nd Nov 18, 8:09 AM
    • 631Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Callum
    Firms STILL threatening to charge card fees nine months after ban - MSE News
    • 2nd Nov 18, 8:09 AM
    Firms STILL threatening to charge card fees nine months after ban - MSE News 2nd Nov 18 at 8:09 AM
    Customers are still wrongly being told they'll be charged extra to pay by credit or debit card despite a law change making such fees illegal since January, MoneySavingExpert.com has found...
    Read the full story:
    'Firms STILL threatening to charge card fees nine months after ban'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • p5x
    • By p5x 2nd Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    p5x
    • 2nd Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    I tried paying for my car insurance with my credit card but it got declined (not had this problem elsewhere), phoned my CC provider, they said we've not had any requests for payment to come through so they must be blocking it at their end. I then used it my debit card to pay and it went through first time.

I assume some companies are sneakily doing this to avoid people using credit cards.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Nov 18, 11:34 AM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,844 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 2nd Nov 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 11:34 AM

I assume some companies are sneakily doing this to avoid people using credit cards.
    Originally posted by p5x

They don't need to be sneaky about it, no company is required to take credit card payments if they don't want to - for example, HMRC stopped taking personal credit card payment in Jnauary 2018.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 2nd Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 2nd Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    I recently renewed our vehicle licence online and was warned of an additional charge for paying by credit card. I paid by debit card - just in case.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 02-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 2nd Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    • 12,119 Posts
    • 15,027 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 2nd Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 1:14 PM
    I recently renewed our vehicle licence online and was warned of an additional charge for paying by credit card. I paid by debit card - just in case.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    I was also looking out for this when renewing recently, after seeing similar warnings on here, but the wording did make it clear that surcharges are only applied if a business card is used, not a personal one, so it's all as it should be there....
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 2nd Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    • 26,345 Posts
    • 13,516 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 2nd Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    They don't need to be sneaky about it, no company is required to take credit card payments if they don't want to - for example, HMRC stopped taking personal credit card payment in Jnauary 2018.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    ...But if it is an option when you come to pay then yes they have to accept it.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 4th Nov 18, 12:46 AM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 5,007 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 4th Nov 18, 12:46 AM
    • 4th Nov 18, 12:46 AM
    My local council still charges extra for credit cards, naughty naughty.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 4th Nov 18, 1:27 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 4,882 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 4th Nov 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4th Nov 18, 1:27 PM
    Paid my road tax a few days ago by credit card the form actually said no fee unless paying with a business card.
    Last edited by badmemory; 04-11-2018 at 1:29 PM.
    • mountains5
    • By mountains5 4th Nov 18, 3:04 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mountains5
    • 4th Nov 18, 3:04 PM
    • 4th Nov 18, 3:04 PM
    I've renewed three vehicle licences online in the last few months and been charged £2.50 for using a credit card online each time.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 4th Nov 18, 3:18 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 4,882 Thanks
    badmemory
    I renewed mine using the phone line & didn't get charges - so perhaps that is the difference.

If you are renewing 3 vehicles is it possible you are using a credit card which is not a personal one. Alternatively next time do it by phone!
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 5th Nov 18, 7:21 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    chanz4
    just eat etc call it a service fee now and charge everyone, even if you want to pay cash
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,191Posts Today

7,957Users online

Martin's Twitter