cash at M&S

Options
I normally use my Halifax clarity card at the arrival airport to gett cash at 0%.
This time I decided to use my M&S card (preferrential rate) to get cash.
This is partly because the ATM route sometimes fails leaving you with no cash but also because I was travellling to Indonesia which has a high rate of fraud and a fellow traveller did have their card blocked at the ATM.

So I used my M&S card as they give me a preferrential rate. I expected about 4%. Outgoing I was charged 9%.
Incoming (buy back) where I don't get preferrential rate I was charged 12% (compared with the rate on the day google gave me).

Is this normal?
I though M&S would be good especially with the preferrential rate.

I don't like the idea of being stuck with no cash and no even being able to buy a bottle of water.
Is the only solution to take a small amount?

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Yes it's normal to get a rip-off rate in the UK for a minor currency. If you're that worried about ATMs not working etc, why not take some GBP which you can change out there if necessary? You'll almost certainly get a much better rate there.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Using any supermarket, travel agent or the Post Office for exchanging cash is expensive, 'preferential' or not.

Indonesian ATMs are abundant and reliable, use your Clarity and take a backup such as Starling Bank or Loot.io cards.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did ask the assistant at the m&s bureau whether it was a minor currency and she said Indonesian rupiah was quite common.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yes it's normal to get a rip-off rate in the UK for a minor currency. If you're that worried about ATMs not working etc, why not take some GBP which you can change out there if necessary? You'll almost certainly get a much better rate there.

I’d prefer not to queue up after a 16 hour flight plus the rest.
    It was very busy when we arrived at DPS.

I have had ATMS not work before and I often travel to remote/boutique resorts where there may well not be an ATM.

I. The future I think I’ll take a small amount of cash for water/toilets/tips and then get a cab to the nrearest ATM.

Cheers
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I’d prefer not to queue up after a 16 hour flight plus the rest.
    It was very busy when we arrived at DPS.

I have had ATMS not work before and I often travel to remote/boutique resorts where there may well not be an ATM.

I. The future I think I’ll take a small amount of cash for water/toilets/tips and then get a cab to the nrearest ATM.

Cheers
    Yes but the point is you almost certainly won't have to queue to change cash, because the ATMs will work! Especially if you take several cards - I have 3 cards that are zero fee and another 3 which aren't but which charge far less the 9% M&S charge.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Even M&S preferential rate is regularly inferior to other outlets - locally Debenhams beats it anytime I've used it - and you can charge it to a Debenhams credit card at no extra charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure