Dishwasher or manual?

Options
I have never been the tidiest of persons, a friend said a dishwasher helped her, helped a lot more than the son/daughter. :)

Do you love your dishwasher, are they all the same, would a bog standard one suffice?

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dishwasher all day every day. I might even choose one over a washing machine, you can’t take your dishes to a dishrette! I wouldn’t worry about features much, a standard wash and a quick wash is about all I use.
  • splishsplash
    Options
    I agree - I think a dishwasher is more important than a washing machine.

Bog standard is fine, it's like anything else, you'll end up using the same one or two programmes all the time.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Definitely dishwasher.

• all the dirty dishes can sit in the dishwasher until you're ready to turn it on, which keeps the kitchen sides tidier and stops you cluttering up the sink
    • all the clean dishes can sit in the dishwasher until you're ready to empty it, which keeps the sink/draining board area free of clutter
    • no-one wants to wash up, ever
    I use powder rather than capsules/tablets, which is really cheap, and my dishwasher has a 27 minute program at 37 degrees, which is perfectly good 95% of the time. I keep a bag of capsules which I use if I've got something really challenging - burnt on, grill pan etc - but I rarely need to use them. Once a month I clean the filter and around the seals, and put it on to a full programme (2hours +) with dishwasher cleaner - I never have a problem with it smelling.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Once you've had one you wont go back
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve had a dishwasher for 30years. I’m on my 3rd one now. When my kids lived at home it was a Godsend but now it’s just the two of us, I do a combination of washing up or the dishwasher. I often find that I will need a particular pan before I’ve got a full load so it’s easier to wash up.

When we have visitors (especially when the kids and their kids descend), the dishwasher will probably run twice a day.

In other words, I could well live without the dishwasher.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Definitely a dishwasher!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife married one,
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely it depends on your view from the sink and the number of people in the household?

If I looked out on a blank wall and there were 6 of us eating at every meal, I'd crank up the dishwasher more often.

However, there's only two of us, most days, and the view's pretty good.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    I wouldn't have a dishwasher if I won one !
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Love our dishwasher, there's only two of us so it prob goes on every other day. It means I'm not stood at the sink washing up after dinner, can just whack it on at night and empty it with everything dried while I make tea the next morning. Means dirty plates are hidden away and it uses less water than manual washing up I believe.

I mainly use two programmes (eco at 50 degrees or intense which is something like 70 for really gritty stuff).

I don't usually 'do' brands but find the liquitabs clean much better than tablets. We live in a hard water area so that is likely to be a factor.

It thinking someone should open a 'dishrette' :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills