Dishwasher or manual?

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    I wouldn't have a dishwasher if I won one !
    Why on earth not?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • jennifernil
    Options
    We got our first dishwasher in 1973, before that, washing the dishes was my husband's job, so he decided a dishwasher was a good idea!

I would not choose a dishwasher over i washing machine, but I would not want to be without the dishwasher now. The dishwasher and the waste disposal are the only things we miss when away in our caravan.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    Once you've had one you wont go back

Completely agree. We had a dishwasher fitted when we had the kitchen in our old house re-done in 2012. We were both late 30s at the time and had each managed to live our lives without one, within a few months we decided we could never go back to hand washing everything.
    We got our first dishwasher in 1973,

I didn't realise they'd been around that long. Do you remember roughly how much they cost back then?
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    “ I wouldn't have a dishwasher if I won one !
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Why on earth not?

There's just the 2 of us, and I really can't bear the idea of dirty pots (even rinsed off) sitting there festering for 2 or 3 days before the machine is full enough to warrant switching it on.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got a dishwasher that came with the house. I can't be *rsed bending down to load & unload it though, so it has only been used half a dozen times.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's just the 2 of us, and I really can't bear the idea of dirty pots (even rinsed off) sitting there festering for 2 or 3 days before the machine is full enough to warrant switching it on.
    You can get smaller dishwashers, iirc usually they're sometimes called "counter top" dishwashers, which are designed for people who might only have one or two people living in a house and not using masses of plates etc (I think they're designed for "4 places" rather than "8" or something).

I could never go back to not having a dishwasher, if just because of the time saved, let alone the much higher efficiency of using one rather than doing it by hand.
    We had to do the cups by hand when our kitchen was being refitted (I cheated and used paper plates and disposable bowls), and even that was a major pain and used considerably more water than the dishwasher does for a full load (IIRC our full sized dishwasher uses about 20 litres for a wash, I was using 10+ litres to wash and rinse just the cups/glasses).
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm amazed this is a question!

It is absolutely taken for granted in our house and is an essential piece of kit. I'd even consider having two of them :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am abolutely rubbish at washing dishes, which I don't mind about because I'm good at other stuff, but I would happily do a lot of bad things for a dishwasher...
    I can't have one at the moment...I can't wait to get one.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have a dishwasher. Had one for years. You have to have the right size for you to fill it for each wash. If you have one that is rated for energy they are actually better than washing by hand because they use the right amount of hot water for the job and also the right amount of water as well.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    We have a dishwasher. Had one for years. You have to have the right size for you to fill it for each wash.

There's the just the two of us but we'd always go for a full size one as I think you'd struggle to fit larger pots and pans in a smaller one. The only downside is you do have to have plenty of plates and cutlery otherwise you'll run out before the dishwasher is full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure