Returning item, but i have destroyed packing

Options
I bought one of these the other day

s-l1600.jpg

I'm sorry about the size of the image but it shows the packing used the best, I paid for item via PayPal, I want to return the item and buy another 128GB USB 3 drive from the same people the problem is i have shredded (recycle what i can) the cardboard packing and all i have left are the drive and it's plastic cover.

Am i within my right to ask for a return and upgrade to a bigger (in size) drive, my reason for wanting a return is a weird one, my PC case is on my left hand side and i plug it in that way however i had a stroke about 6 weeks ago and my left side is numb and weak and pulling it out of socket is almost impossible for me.

All1

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I am confused,

What good would a bigger drive be if it plugs in the same socket.

Edit, I think you mean a physically bigger drive rather than more storage

I believe you need to return in the original packaging and unused if you want a full refund
  • Alloneword
    Options
    Well all USB sockets are the same size so it's not the size of the plug (male) it's the size of he whole physical drive, not storage size, i need bigger physical size so i can pull it from the socket as this drive is to small for me to grip and pull out of it's socket
  • stragglebod
    Options
    You're not going to get a full refund as it's not faulty.

If the problem is your ability to grasp hold of it to remove it from the socket, are you able to grab hold of regular USB cables OK? If so maybe buy one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-Standard-Male-To-Female-Extension-Cable-Lead-For-PC-Laptop-0-5M-1M-2M-3M/222569846339?epid=810709563&hash=item33d2325643:m:mStW_ExpSuwJJZ2nS34zRpA
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think you have any right to return if you've opened it, tested it and disposed of the packaging, just for a change of mind return. They're not going to be able to sell it to anyone else.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You have the right to cancel and return the item for a refund, however the retailer is entitled to reduce the amount of the refund to account for the lost packaging (as they won't be able to resell it for full price).

Best to speak to them and see what they say. You may be better off selling the item on rather than returning it.

I second the suggestion to buy a USB extension cable, sounds like this would do the trick.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    i have one of these, ideal for the car as its so small, but they are a sod to remove as so small !
  • Alloneword
    Options
    Well i have emailed the company i bought it from and just told the truth and see what they say, i don't like cables hanging about so worst case i will bung it on ebay or something to get as much money back as i can and just buy the right drive for my needs now, thanks everyone

Oh yea anyone wanna buy a new thumb drive?

All1
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Options
    Alloneword wrote: »
    Well i have emailed the company i bought it from and just told the truth and see what they say, i don't like cables hanging about so worst case i will bung it on ebay or something to get as much money back as i can and just buy the right drive for my needs now, thanks everyone

Oh yea anyone wanna buy a new thumb drive?

All1

It's not new, it's been used and is now second hand.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For what it's worth you get USB extenders, not cables but a solid male to female adaptor, I've had a couple over the years supplied with wireless keyboards/mice, as sometimes the receivers are an odd shape/size and have issues with the surround on some laptops/TV's/consoles etc (not enough clearance to let it plug in properly).
    IIRC they're usually about an inch or so long and make the adaptor sick out like a larger USB memory stick rather than a micro stick.
  • Alloneword
    Options
    It's not new, it's been used and is now second hand.
    Unlucky m8 i got a full refund :D

All1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family