Buying an iMac - Currys vs Apple Store

Options
13»

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buying from JL will give you a 2 year warranty: buying from Apple or DSG will get you one year only.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    Just a though, but as this is for work and you are the employer, does this count as a B2B purchase? If so consumer rights don't apply, AFAIK.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a though, but as this is for work and you are the employer, does this count as a B2B purchase? If so consumer rights don't apply, AFAIK.
    Well, if you buy it as a consumer and expense it, then the shop won't know.
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd say either Apple or John Lewis (for the extra guarantee). I've always bought my Apple devices from Apple itself, including a refurbished MacBook Pro.

Don't know if the recent half-yearly results from John Lewis, showing a 99 per cent loss :eek:, will have any effect on their trading?!
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • DocQuincy
    Options
    I have been in the same boat and have bought two iMacs from Currys PC World simply because the store was nearer. There is absolutely no difference to getting it from Apple since you get the standard one-year warranty with the option to buy AppleCare to extend it for three years in the first year.

Having said that I have never had any problems with any of them. I was of the understanding Apple will honour it regardless so long as you bought it new and it's in warranty. This thread seems to concur:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4477666

I am not aware of extra warranty through John Lewis so can't comment on that. What I will say though is do not pay Apple to “configure” your iMac with extra RAM. Buy the RAM yourself and fit it. It is much cheaper and super-easy.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DocQuincy wrote: »

I am not aware of extra warranty through John Lewis so can't comment on that. What I will say though is do not pay Apple to “configure” your iMac with extra RAM. Buy the RAM yourself and fit it. It is much cheaper and super-easy.

Which you can only do with the 27" iMac. The 21.5" has to be substantially dismantled from the front (screen off etc.) to get to the memory slots. Worth bearing in mind.
  • DocQuincy
    Options
    Thanks for pointing that out; I have never used anything other than 27".

I have taken a hard drive out of an iMac before though and it's not something I'd be in a hurry to do again! Taking the screen off and removing the connections, etc is very daunting if you don't really know what you're doing.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I purchased my new iMac on Black Friday last Nov .
    It was a spin up between buying direct from Apple ,or John Lewis .
    Would it be the extended warranty from John Lewis ?
    They also had iMacs from the previous year (2016), st a cheaper price
    Not much fifference apparently ,as you could still upgrade to the latest version of high Sierra .
    I decided to go with Apple in the end ,as I got a Black Friday deal of a gift card of £120 .

Horses for courses etc ..:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport