Bank has lost my savings

Comments

• If this has gone to an ombudsman's final decision, can you post the DRN so we can look this up on the published decisions website? This won't identify you to anyone here.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • I think we'll need to wait 6+ years for the OP to come back.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If this were a PPI claim or an unclaimed Will, the records would go back decades.

Not necessarily. Banks only have to keep most records for 6 years. Often they keep certain data types longer than this, but they don't have to. High volume record types - like transactions for instance - are more likely to be dropped sooner.
  • Ergates
    colsten wrote: »
    why did the FOS rule out any liability of the two companies involved?
    Because banks have no legal obligation to keep records for more than 6 years. Therefore it is perfectly legitimate for them to say "We have no record of this" and for this to be impossible for them to investigate. With no-one being able to investigate, neither party can be found liable.
  • soulsaver wrote: »
    So if it's the same case, we're talking ... 12 years with no checks & balances?

OP want to comment?

It's not clear to me from the OP if we're talking £7k plus, or just the interest on £7k, either.

She lost the interest, not the principal, according to the OP's account of what happened, in post number 1. The capital was "in limbo"; the interest was not paid because the ISA was never properly set up.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • My missing ISA was nearly £7,000 + the interest it should have accrued.

She has lost all of it if the story is to be believed. Personally I can't remember what ISAs I opened this year let alone 12 years ago.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EssexExile wrote: »
    She has lost all of it if the story is to be believed. Personally I can't remember what ISAs I opened this year let alone 12 years ago.

Me too!!

With so many different savings accounts to try to maximise savings it can be difficult to keep up at times.

It was also much easier when there was a passbook.

I once had Santander transfer between ISA accounts the wrong way round. Luckily I did notice it a few weeks later and they agreed to backdate the correct interest.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,961 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    EssexExile wrote: »
    She lost the interest, not the principal, according to the OP's account of what happened, in post number 1. The capital was "in limbo"; the interest was not paid because the ISA was never properly set up.

There's 2 opinions, exactly why it's not clear. She said 'the missing Isa was 7k + interest. Implies it's now something different - like she got the ISA capital back but not the interest...maybe.
    If it's all missing why not '..the missing isa is £7k +interest'?
  • Ergates
    soulsaver wrote: »
    There's 2 opinions, exactly why it's not clear. She said 'the missing Isa was 7k + interest. Implies it's now something different - like she got the ISA capital back but not the interest...maybe.
    If it's all missing why not '..the missing isa is £7k +interest'?

It was 7k - because now it's nothing. It's lost. Gone. Hence the past tense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure