Buyer saying parcel not rec’d

I have a buyer with a feedback of four (not sure that’s relevant) saying she hasn’t received her parcel but MyHermes is showing it as delivered and says it was put through the letterbox.

Is that enough proof for me?

Comments

• Is that enough proof for me?

Don't think so. You have no way of proving that they received it, because Hermes could have gone to the wrong address or in the case of a property with shared occupancy - someone else could have picked up the item and not passed it on.

If it's a small value item then you may be able to claim from Hermes for items damaged or lost in transit. But as they are saying they delivered the item rather then lose or break it - you may also struggle. If it was was supposed to be signed for upon delivery and Hermes didn't get a signature, you do have a chance.

Hermes don't seem to be doing very well at the moment. They lost a parcel sent to my gf. An item I sent with them broke within minutes of being delivered and the buyer of another item has specifically requested that I don't use them...
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,178 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have a buyer with a feedback of four (not sure that’s relevant) saying she hasn’t received her parcel but MyHermes is showing it as delivered and says it was put through the letterbox.

Is that enough proof for me?

Yes, all a seller has to do to invoke seller protection is to show online delivery confirmation, and if asked, be able to prove address used was as per the PayPal notification.

Always protect your account first and foremost, if buyer opens a case make sure eBay or PayPal can see your uploaded tracking info.

However, as long as you protect yourself that doesn't stop you assisting the buyer to find out what's happened.
    Brummie85 wrote: »
    Don't think so. You have no way of proving that they received it, because Hermes could have gone to the wrong address or in the case of a property with shared occupancy - someone else could have picked up the item and not passed it on.

If it's a small value item then you may be able to claim from Hermes for items damaged or lost in transit. But as they are saying they delivered the item rather then lose or break it - you may also struggle. If it was was supposed to be signed for upon delivery and Hermes didn't get a signature, you do have a chance.

Hermes don't seem to be doing very well at the moment. They lost a parcel sent to my gf. An item I sent with them broke within minutes of being delivered and the buyer of another item has specifically requested that I don't use them...

You are incorrect. Neither eBay nor PayPal need proof that item was delivered to a named person, only the address matters. Also for,items under £750 no signature is required, and even for items over £750 it doesn't have to be a signature of a named person- neither eBay nor PayPal keep buyers signatures on file .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    A few weeks I had a buyer claim they hadn't received an item which Hermes said they had left in a safe place. I opened a case with Hermes and they sent me a timed and dated photograph of the place they left it. They advised if the buyer still wanted to dispute the delivery, then to send them the buyer's phone number and they would deal with them. I never heard from the buyer again.

Whilst Hermes are less likely to have taken a photo of a letterbox, you can usually see off the scammers by advising that as it shows delivered, you can open a case with Hermes and ask them to investigate. The item could of course have been put through the wrong letterbox but buyers still try it on.
  • As per Soolin's post, protect your account and help the buyer. Drop the buyer a message explaining that the tracking shows as delivered but that you will dispute the delivery with the carrier. Tell them they are welcome to open a case but regardless of outcome (it will go in your favour) you will pursue the dispute and refund them if the carrier agrees it was mis-delivered. That tends to keep everyone happy.
  • As a previous customer of Amazon, I had two out of 10 parcels go missing. Amazon said they were delivered 'to recipient', they definitely weren't. I wasn't scamming anyone, and I don't use Amazon anymore because they did not have any records of who signed for it, what the signature was etc. This system allows a courier to just check a box on their pads and pocket the goods, customer can do nothing. Amazon just didn't seem bothered. Even low value goods (£30) are worth something to me, besides the inconvenience.

I realise this isn't ebay but I wanted to give the customer's POV.

I firmly believe if a business wants to sell/deliver low value goods, and receive money for doing so, they should also keep proper records of deliveries for them.
  • I replied to the buyer saying MyHermes confirmed it was posted through their letterbox.

I haven’t heard from them for a couple of days.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,178 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I replied to the buyer saying MyHermes confirmed it was posted through their letterbox.

I haven’t heard from them for a couple of days.

I would leave it until they contact you again, and then if they still can't find it offer help- do nothing until then though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I will.

I’m going to give up with eBay after many years trading.

I’m fed up with non payers (two recently for 99p can you believe) and people saying they haven’t received their parcels.

It’s not worth it anymore.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hermes where I live are not the best.

They regularly leave parcels out in our back garden - which is used as a cut through by drunks and school children and has an open fence to see through, they once left a parcel of fabric in the log burner / smoker.

We’ve never designated it as a safe place and regularly complain as we have parcels go missing and get rained on all the time. They placed a parcel on the garden path the other day so that when I came home and through the gate it tripped me as I had my hands full of shopping and did not see it. Thankfully nothing breakable or I’d have broken it.

Seriously it’s Hermes every time If something has gone wrong. You’d have thought with the amount of times we’ve complained about soggy parcels they’d have started leaving them with neighbours. Not always an issue such as the cool box but the clothes and fabric parcels drive me potty.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There's on ongoing saga on my local FB page of one particular courier who seems to leave things wherever he feels like. The photos he has of people's supposed front doors bear no relation to the actual addresses. But myHermes seem perfectly happy to keep using him regardless.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure