Stupid mistake made at 16, now affecting my chances of opening any bank account?

Options

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Now I know about cifas and the 6 year file. I know I made a stupid choice but now for something that I did as a kid should it really affect me for the next crucial 4 years remaining? (I’m 18 now).

Another POV would be that if it was just simply wiped out, that would be an encouragement to go ahead "look you're 16 it will be wiped at 18 even uf they catch you, if you get caught in say a years time, it will be erased in a year from then. So why not go ahead ?"
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I feel like my intelligence dropped by about 10% trying to read that garbage. Looks like it was written by someone who never bothered to go to school and doesn't have a clue how banks work. A "hacker" goes into your bank account and sticks a 0 on the end of your total cash and magically you have more money? Do they even know how banks work?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,953 Ambassador
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    I feel like my intelligence dropped by about 10% trying to read that garbage. Looks like it was written by someone who never bothered to go to school and doesn't have a clue how banks work. A "hacker" goes into your bank account and sticks a 0 on the end of your total cash and magically you have more money? Do they even know how banks work?

Yes me too, are banks security systems really that transparent, i think not, as for "roadmen" puffer jackets and nike air trainers, seriously ??
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Missus_Hyde
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Yes me too, are banks security systems really that transparent, i think not, as for "roadmen" puffer jackets and nike air trainers, seriously ??

Me three; I must have led a very sheltered life, but I didn't understand a word of that.

However, whatever it means doesn't sound very nice and certainly not something any self respecting 16 year old would want to get involved with!! ;):o
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2018 at 2:45PM
    Options
    Sadly you will need to ride the next 4 years and put it down to experience. Might seem unfair now but that is the reality, and life can be unfair sometimes.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    Options
    jimbo26 wrote: »
    Sadly you will need to ride the next 4 years and put it down to experience. Might seem unfair now but that is the reality, and life can be unfair sometimes.

True, but in this case it seems very fair to me.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    jimbo26 wrote: »

Yes life can be unfair but not in this case
  • welly_59
    Options
    Yes the boy did wrong, he’s been caught, and now needs to wait out until cifas marker is removed.

But before you judge and get high and mighty, realise a lot of this is pushed by gangs and it’s not always as easy as saying no

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/teenagers-money-laundering-money-mules-criminal-gangs-gangsters-criminals-fraud-a7866151.html
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    That's not really a 'mistake' is it?

A mistake is going out and forgetting to turn the oven off, or writing 'there' instead of 'their' etc etc

Personally I think if you start out in life with a dishonest, criminal outlook then you'll carry on that way. But calling a crime a mistake really gets my goat frankly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure