Stupid mistake made at 16, now affecting my chances of opening any bank account?

Hello everyone I urgently need advice.

I got involved with something called ‘ac scam’ when I was 16, Barclays found out and of course had to close my account. I then changed to Natwest to open a basic account at the same age. Two years later, I opened a current with NatWest, 5 days later my account was closed and they refused to tell me why and I think I know now. Luckily I had a metro bank cash account opened at 16 so I’m still able to receive pay from my two jobs.

Now I know about cifas and the 6 year file. I know I made a stupid choice but now for something that I did as a kid should it really affect me for the next crucial 4 years remaining? (I’m 18 now).

I need to know If I’ll be able to remove myself from the blacklist. If not what are my options for say, trying to get a student loan/accounts. How will this affect my relationship with banks and any other helpful information is greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Comments

• Have you checked for CIFAS markers?

If you have one, and it's for fraud, you won't be able to remove it yourself, for obvious reasons.

Stay on the right side of committing fraud from now on (ie the don't commit fraud side) and you'll be good to go when it comes off.
  • Yes it needs to stay as it's a true representation of what happened.

You can contest removal with CIFAS directly but don't expect a positive outcome
  • It may also prove problematic for when or if you are considering applying for a student loan.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Don’t commit the crime if you can’t serve the time.
    Unfortunately simply saying “sorry” won’t cut it. Or everyone who owes money, has committed fraud or simply doesn’t like what they see could just “ask for a new chance”
    Luckily you are 18 and by 22 you will be back on track. Don’t make the same mistakes moving forward.

On the information side you should contact Citizens Advice and explain your situation, as you will need to know how student finance works with loans so on so forth. Not being accepted even for a basic bank account is a clear indication that things will be difficult during the next four years.
  • I haven’t checked it yet no, but I know I am on the marker because I tried to apply for a Santander current account and they told me because of my past history to fraud they could not accept me.
  • Not sure what you think is going to happen?
    You committed fraud. You’re paying the price for it now?
    Like not trying to be mean but what else can you expect?
  • I understand what is did was wrong, I’m not saying that it should go unpunished. I’m not sure if you know about this but young teenagers are often targets for this ‘ac scam’ in London as they think is a quick way to get money. I was targeted, my friends were too, and it is still an issue to this day because they don’t know the full consequences of this. Adults target children in secondary schools and many fall for it too easily. I’m not sure why this isn’t a bigger issue. Anyways I’m not trying to excuse myself but I I am trying to fix my problem.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 September 2018 at 7:34PM
    I understand what is did was wrong, I’m not saying that it should go unpunished... … I’m not trying to excuse myself but I I am trying to fix my problem.
    Have you tried opening an account with a bank such as Monzo?

Edit: Or if Monzo won't take you what about Metro Bank Cash Account?... I don't think you will be able to open a bank account with an ordinary high street bank unfortunately.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • I only have my metro cash account because someone told me to open two accounts before I turn 18 just in case ‘something’ happens. I’m so glad I was told to do this
  • I got involved with something called ‘ac scam’ when I was 16, Barclays found out and of course had to close my account.
    So at 16 you didn't know right from wrong?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure