IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Excel parking issue PCN even though paid

Options
Hello, forum newbie here.
I received an Excel PCN in July. I parked in a car park at Media City where I usually park from time to time and usually use the app to pay.
The normal payment provider had changed from Ring go to Connect Cashless Parking who also cover car parks in some other parts of Manchester.
Being unfamilar with the system I needed to call to secure my parking.
I made the call, the automaton on the other end relayed my reg number back to me, turns out I was already set up after using the system once a very long time ago, the phone cut out for a second then I heard your parking has started.
I went off, later I received a text to say my parking was due so I retuned to the vehicle to find a ticket.
I called excel immediately to ask what the hell is going on, how can I pay for a ticket on their automated system but still receive a fine?
They didn't have any answers and said I would need to appeal.
At home I looked up the notice online and checked the connect cashless account.
Turns our I had paid for parking in a different car park. The right amount just wrong location.
I appealed with this evidence straight away.
The charge was issued on 6th July, I appealed the same day.
Excel came back to me on the 26th: " We are still continuing to evaluate your correspondence and as such we are unable to let you have a
decision at this stage. We expect to let you have our decision/response by 16/8/2018."
Then heard nothing until the 5th September.

Excel: The signs at the car park make it clear that the land is private property and that a charge of £100 will be levied if
vehicles are parked outside of the Terms and Conditions displayed. The signs make it clear that a valid ticket to park
must be purchased and, where applicable, clearly displayed in the vehicle parked. The above detailed vehicle was
observed parked whilst payment for parking had not been correctly made and you became liable for the Charge
advertised.

They also go on to say:

"we must clarify that this is third-
party software for which we are not responsible. When paying for parking over the phone, motorists should ensure

that their payment has been allocated to the correct vehicle registration number, it is imperative that the information
used is 100% accurate."

Essentially saying its not our fault the software doesn't work and you needed to wait for confirmation, but I got audio confirmation and a text message to say it was up!

As a final thought they say:
"On this occasion the vehicle was parked when there was no valid session
to park paid for and therefore in the absence of a Pay & Display ticket, it was parked contrary to the Terms and Conditions displayed."
Which to me implies that unless you display a ticket you will always be in contravention of the T's & C's.

They now want £60 going to £100 in 21 days.

Id like to appeal as I paid fr the season but in the wrong place due to the phone cutting out and me not hearing the location but I sceptical after reading about their move to different appeals body who are just as bad!!!!

HELP!
Cheers

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 7 September 2018 at 12:19AM
    Options
    "we must clarify that this is third-party software for which we are not responsible. When paying for parking over the phone, motorists should ensure that their payment has been allocated to the correct vehicle registration number, it is imperative that the information used is 100% accurate."
    They are responsible for a third party handling VRN data as their contractor.

Try this (below) it's a new idea I have had which can be tried by anyone where wrong VRN or wrong location code data is being relied upon by a parking firm who knows full well from their own ANPR data stream, which car it was and which location that car was in:

Email Excel (see their letters at the bottom, there's an email addy if you do not have it yet).

In the subject line, put Data Rectification Notice - FTAO the Data Controller

Then state that they and their agent, Connect Cashless Parking, are storing and processing data that is incorrect, and that Excel know to be incorrect. Under the GDPR, you require that to be rectified, and remind Excel of their legal duty as set out in simple terms by the Information Commissioner, here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-rectification/

State that due to a processing error on the part of the new app that Excel have changed to recently, Connect Cashless Parking have brought forward in error, old data regarding a parking session and location code at xxxxxx car park and wrongly applied it to your request for a parking session at xxxxxx car park.

This is a data mismatch and/or error, not caused by the consumer, and Excel have been advised of it already.

As such, you require that Excel tell their agents to rectify the error, which was not keyed in by the driver, but was brought forward by the new system which had unfairly stored an old location code.

Retaining that data for xx months/years is excessive and unjustified data storage, and for that, Connect Cashless Parking is at fault and places consumers at risk of detriment by carrying forward data that makes an assumption about a vital piece of information - the location code - that will cause consumers to suffer loss as a result.

To expect a consumer to assume the burden of having to notice and override incorrect data every time they use a phone app, when the app company have stored that data and introduced it for a completely different parking session by presumption is wholly unreasonable, and this undoubtedly a serious matter for the Information Commissioner to consider.

And it is not just the app that is at fault (Excel being reminded that they remain liable for the actions of their agent, anyway). By failing to rectify the error when advised of it in an appeal, Excel have breached the GDPR and must not continue to rely on what they know or should know, to be inaccurate data.

Not only that, their own data images tell Excel that the vehicle was in the second car park, and that the payment needs to be rectified and matched to that site instead. The ANPR image is a data stream in its own right and Excel must consider it when addressing this data error, and not blame a consumer.

This is clearly wholly within the control of (and is indisputably the data liability of) Excel, and for a parking firm to reject the information in an appeal and mislead a consumer by saying ''we must clarify that this is third-party software for which we are not responsible'' is not only disingenuous, but an untrue statement from the company and the Data Controller must take steps to prevent that sort of flagrant disregard for data protection rules - and negligent misinformation about the law of agency - from happening again.

It may have been different, had the driver actually keyed in the wrong location code, and that would be a matter for the ICO to decide. But in this case, the phone app contractor (appointed and used by Excel to handle the data stream from the app, on their behalf) has introduced old, incorrect data from a long since forgotten parking session.

There can be no quibble that the situation falls squarely within the GDPR:
    When is data inaccurate?

The GDPR does not give a definition of the term accuracy. However, the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018) states that personal data is inaccurate if it is incorrect or misleading as to any matter of fact.

State at the end, that you require a reply from the Data Controller within 30 days, and you wish to exercise your right to request 'restriction of the processing' of your personal data during this period from contesting the data accuracy, while Excel and its phone payment agent check it, in accordance with Article 18 of the GDPR:
    What should we do while we are considering the accuracy?

Under Article 18 an individual has the right to request restriction of the processing of their personal data where they contest its accuracy and you are checking it. As a matter of good practice, you should restrict the processing of the personal data in question whilst you are verifying its accuracy, whether or not the individual has exercised their right to restriction.

Finish by telling Excel that they have no proportionate justification to ask for ID, as they hold enough other data to have identified the complainant already, and so now, their only options are:

1 - to confirm that the data is inaccurate, and to rectify it and confirm the fact, or

2 - to confirm that they believe the data is 'accurate' (which it clearly isn't), or

3 - refuse to comply with a request for rectification if the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive (which it clearly isn't).

Should Excel opt for (2) or (3) as their formal response, their Data Controller will be held personally liable, jointly and severally with Excel's own corporate liability, and the response will be used in evidence for a formal Information Commissioner's Office complaint regarding a failure to rectify known inaccurate data fed by their own agent's archive storage, which should have long since been erased.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • vidivic
    Options
    Hello Coupon

What and excellent amount of information you have Kindly shared with me.
    Many thanks for this, it is such an important point which I knew was in there put couldn't clarify.

Excel informed me they now consider this a matter for the appeal board and won't take any further appeal:
    "It is important we also highlight that no further appeals will be accepted at this office; any such appeal must be made to the IAS."

Are the IAS any good do you know?

Shall I draft a letter from your info and send it to all do you think?

Thanks again, really really appreciate it.
  • vidivic
    Options
    Also I have a receipt from the connect cashless people which shows the last time I parked was 18 months previous.
  • nosferatu1001
    Options
    NO the IAS are no good
    They g'tee to REJECT 85% of ALL appeals, regardless of merit.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Forget the IAS.

Send the email I told you to, using my words and subject line. It is not an appeal.

:)
  • vidivic
    vidivic Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have drafted a letter using your words. I can't seem to find an email to send it to. Can you help?

Here is draft:

"Excel and agent, Connect Cashless Parking, are storing and processing data that is incorrect, and that Excel know to be incorrect. Under the GDPR, I require that to be rectified, and remind Excel of their legal duty as set out in simple terms by the Information Commissioner.
    Due to a processing error on the part of the new app that Excel have changed to recently, Connect Cashless Parking have brought forward in error, old data regarding a parking session and location code at Victoria car park and wrongly applied it to your request for a parking session at The Pitch car park.

This is a data mismatch or error, not caused by the consumer, and Excel have been advised of it already.

As such, I require that Excel tell the agent to rectify the error, which was not keyed in by myself, but was brought forward by the new system which had unfairly stored an old location code from march 2017.

Retaining that data for 18 months is excessive and unjustified data storage, and for that, Connect Cashless Parking is at fault and places consumers at risk of detriment by carrying forward data that makes an assumption about a vital piece of information - the location code - that will cause consumers to suffer loss as a result.

To expect a consumer to assume the burden of having to notice and override incorrect data every time they use a phone app, when the app company have stored that data and introduced it for a completely different parking session by presumption is wholly unreasonable, and this undoubtedly a serious matter for the Information Commissioner to consider.

And it is not just the app that is at fault (Excel being reminded that they remain liable for the actions of their agent, anyway). By failing to rectify the error when advised of it in an appeal, Excel have breached the GDPR and must not continue to rely on what they know or should know, to be inaccurate data.

Not only that, their own data images tell Excel that the vehicle was in the second car park, and that the payment needs to be rectified and matched to that site instead.

This is clearly wholly within the control of (and is indisputably the data liability of) Excel, and for a parking firm to reject the information in an appeal and mislead a consumer by saying ''we must clarify that this is third-party software for which we are not responsible'' is not only disingenuous, but an untrue statement from the company and the Data Controller must take steps to prevent that sort of flagrant disregard for data protection rules - and negligent misinformation about the law of agency - from happening again.

It may have been different, had the driver actually keyed in the wrong location code, and that would be a matter for the ICO to decide. But in this case, the phone app contractor (appointed and used by Excel to handle the data stream from the app, on their behalf) has introduced old, incorrect data from a long since forgotten parking session.

I require a reply from the Data Controller within 30 days, and I wish to exercise my right to request 'restriction of the processing' of your personal data during this period from contesting the data accuracy, while Excel and its phone payment agent check it, in accordance with Article 18 of the GDPR:
    Under Article 18 an individual has the right to request restriction of the processing of their personal data where they contest its accuracy and you are checking it. As a matter of good practice, you should restrict the processing of the personal data in question whilst you are verifying its accuracy, whether or not the individual has exercised their right to restriction."

Is there a better address to send other than info@? Shall I send it to other bodies too? I think the data issue is massive and needs shouting about.

I also received a fresh letter in the post stating the reason for contravention was the absence of a ticket, but I paid for parking remotely.....so frustrating

Thanks again
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 20 September 2018 at 10:24PM
    Options
    I've added more to this version I wrote for someone:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74774025#post74774025

Really go to town and use the best bits of both versions.
    Is there a better address to send other than info@?
    No.
    Shall I send it to other bodies too?
    The second stage is a complaint to the ICO as explained here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74778358#post74778358
    I think the data issue is massive and needs shouting about
    So do we, and the ICO is the right ear to shout in, once Excel muck up their response to the Rectification Notice.

This is a new untested fightback tactic which was posted about only days ago for anyone with a PCN from a private firm, which relies upon blaming the driver for 'incorrect data' when in fact the data subject has the legal right to just ask for it to be rectified...and can't possibly be penalised for the trader's data processing 'automated decisions' and failures.

Bring on the ICO complaint ''bombs'', as long as posters word and evidence them well, and understand they are not writing an appeal to the ICO, but a data processing complaint.

:D
  • vidivic
    Options
    great sending now.
  • vidivic
    Options
    hello there, I haven't had any response to my email and im concerned the fine will rise and court case will proceed.
    Any help appreciated
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Did you send the rectification notice to the Data Protection Officer's contact details, as set out by Excel in their 'privacy notice' page?

Have you double checked the email address was correct when you typed it?

It is not a fine, and it does not rise. It falls...in reality, to nothing when you win in court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure