be self-taught.

and reinvent your life because you must;
    it is your life and
    its history
    and the present
    belong only to
    you.

- Charles Bukowski.
  • Really interesting thread. When I turned 30 I was mid experiencing my third mental health crisis. It was the first one that had impacted on my ability to work as a Social Worker. By my 30th I had chosen to disclose at work and negotiated part time hours. This was massive for me as my work has always been a central part of my identity. Unfortunately the new job role wasn't for me and so I applied for weekend work in horticulture. My plan was to long distance study a course and side step to a new career. Long story short I was offered a full time position and took a big pay cut and massive risk to career change.

It has been fantastic. The fates aligned and I was quickly offered a Supervisor role after three months, Manager after 9 months and now a year or so in I am being trained slowly for upper Management. Even without this progression the job change has been life changing. Fitness wise I am up and moving, no night shifts or emotional stress has greatly aided my mental health, and the challenge of college and retraining has been interesting and motivating.

I occasionally miss my past work and I have no clear direction for my new career, but I honestly feel that making that leap has saved my life. I enjoy each day now.

This year my big change has been altering my finances and improving my diet. I'm trying to improve my fitness too, but I think I may need to find a way to switch lifestyle with a big impact. I've seen the benefit of a big change with my career, so I'm not afraid to make another change :)
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • NeilCr wrote: »
    Wise words.

It becomes easier as you grow in confidence.

The confidence thing is my major issue! Baby steps I guess :)
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    The confidence thing is my major issue! Baby steps I guess :)

I know. Confidence (or lack of) is a real so and so.

What I would say is that there are not that many really confident people around. A lot of us put on a show and look confident - but under that mask there is insecurity going on. People say to me that I am very confident but I'm not. I'm better but a lot of it is bravado and making a bit of noise!

Baby steps is right.

Good luck
  • I was wondering this, I have changed my attitudes to things - like money and work. Ten years ago I was grief stricken, in debt and terrified. I did get out of debt (twice technically since then) and have a much better attitude to work. I own less (Tho that is a work in progress)

By my life doesn't change. There are things I need to do before I can move on.

Really interesting thread. thanks.
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    All those stories are wonderful and really inspiring. I'm going through a very tough time, having to move countries very soon to be near parents who have heavy, long-term health issues, and this has given me hope that I'm not throwing my life away. Thank you. :)
  • *max* wrote: »
    All those stories are wonderful and really inspiring. I'm going through a very tough time, having to move countries very soon to be near parents who have heavy, long-term health issues, and this has given me hope that I'm not throwing my life away. Thank you. :)

You won't be throwing your life away, although there will be times when you think that you are. Instead, you will be able to embrace a new life, which will be hard at times, but if you try to see it from a positive viewpoint, it will help you to adjust.

For example, there are many people who don't see their parents often, or who don't sort out their differences, and then regret it once their parents have passed away. You have the opportunity to spend time with your mum and dad, and it will drive you round the bend at times, but at least you will still be seeing them.

It's easier said than done, but remember to take care of yourself as well. Try to have some time to do things for you each day. I enjoy treating myself to a breakfast (alone) once a week - it's quieter than lunchtime, and it's just me and my Kindle :). Sometimes it takes something major to help you appreciate the smaller things in life.

Good luck with your move x
  • Another take on the issue: one of my oldest school friends took the chance at university to reinvent herself and ended up totally cutting herself off from her former life. Basically in her first term she went mad with booze and boys and got a bit of a reputation and into debt. Her parents then moved away, and she made a clear decision to break contact with her home town as nobody has heard from her since. She was obviously unhappy in herself as a teenager and doesn't want any reminders of her early life. I respect her decision but it would be nice to hear that she's ok.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I was forced to change at the end of last year when my fiancee and I suddenly broke up. I had to reinvent myself a little bit, although I've not necessarily changed my job, I've changed who I am and who I am trying to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure