Has anyone re invented their life?

Options
124»

Comments

• Eagles1905
    Options
    After a pretty awful two years things finally seem to be heading in the right direction, debt is cut in half, savings are on the up and i've gone out of my comfort zone to see what I can push myself to achieve, so much so I am competing in front of 1500 people in a few weeks time for the first time ever!

I won't lie, still have dark days but with the support of family and friends I am getting there.

Next stop is a new career and a new home, the future is bright.
    “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Ive gone down a different path than I thought I would when I was 18, stressed after a-levels as all I'd dreamed about was becoming a teacher. Did my degree but broke my ankle first day of final placement. Swapped schools for the term I could do it then failed, this was over 8 years ago.

Did a bit of bibbing and bobbing, manufacturing, office work then got a job as a support worker. Was there for over 4 years then went to Oz and NZ for nearly 3 months travelling. Then stayed off work living off savings and didn't return back to work for several months. Ended up back at my original job but somewhere else, so gives a bit of variety.

I'll probably end up looking for something else mid next year as we'll be over staffed after folk come back from maternity etc.

Same with home too. Was going to live in my uni town but moved back home (it's cheaper to live here to be fair), built a life up I enjoy.

I'm another that if you aren't happy do change. I don't think I would have stuck it as a teacher. Loved teaching but I prefer my free time much much more and by the time pensions and student loans kick in there probably not that much better off but a lot higher workload
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the key is to what you want to do, not what society expects. My husband went from being a warehouse worker on min wage to working in IT and now getting paid 4 times what he used to. on a different note I interviewed someone recently who was well paid but unfulfilled. He took a massive pay cut but was so happy to be relieved of stress and have job satisfaction.
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    After being in an abusive and very manipulative/controlling and violent relationship, I packed up mine and the kids belongings and moved 500 miles away from our hometown and started a new life. I miss my mum and friends etc and so the the kids but, and its a huge BUT, we are so much happier.
    I have just gotten a new job, I have lovely friends and we are part of a very small community that really looks out for one another.
    It is my only regret that I didn't do it sooner. It wasn't changing who I am but allowed me to really be who I am after losing myself for such a long time.
    I wish you all the best on your journey.:A
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure