Bin Collections

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No I wouldn't, because we don't have any special reason to generate a lot of waste (e.g. medical or disability) so I think it's our responsibility to ensure that we're not making too much. I'd be ashamed if we routinely filled our small wheelie bin in two weeks, let alone one. If we were, the solution would not be to pay somebody to make it go away, but to work out why we were making so much rubbish and then fix it.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2018 at 12:20PM
    Another household in the 'no' camp. We'd be quite happy for our general waste to go 4-weekly, as long as the recycling was more frequent than that (currently weekly, but for us that could go to 2-weekly).
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My council does alternate week grey and green bin collections and also offer ad-hoc collections - £1 per bag, minimum charge £5. Haven't needed to use the service, but worth a check on your council's website.
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    rach_k wrote: »
    No I wouldn't, because we don't have any special reason to generate a lot of waste (e.g. medical or disability) so I think it's our responsibility to ensure that we're not making too much. I'd be ashamed if we routinely filled our small wheelie bin in two weeks, let alone one. If we were, the solution would not be to pay somebody to make it go away, but to work out why we were making so much rubbish and then fix it.

Due to my local council being unable (apparently) to recycle anything more than plastic bottles and paper, a lot of what could be recycled has be put in the general rubbish wheelie bin. Better recycling facilities, and being able to recycle more than they do currently would mean the general rubbish bin wouldn't get filled up each fortnight.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My rubbish bins are fortnightly and I struggle to put half a small black sack out every 4-6 weeks in the main. My recycling goes out about 3x a year in the main (never full, usually half full at that stage).

Some people are super-consumers and don't pay attention to how they're packing their bin if they can't cope with what they've got.

I'd prefer £10/month off the council tax and fewer collections.... it seems I'm subsidising those who aren't being mindful about their waste.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I would prefer a discount every time our bins don't go out
    As you know, bin collections are every fortnight

Shame your initial research got that bit wrong, they collect once a week in our area.
    You can pay for extra collections of garden waste
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doing some research. As you know, bin collections are every fortnight.

Every three weeks here for landfill.

No, I wouldn't pay extra for weekly/bi-weekly collections as every three weeks is more than adequate.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A wheelie bin holds a lot of rubbish, and we also have a recycling bin for plastic, glass paper and cardboard, so fortnightly is fine by me.

I've never had to take extra rubbish to the tip, even when we had 6 in the household including a toddler in nappies. I suspect some peoples bins get full because they don't flatten and squish down empty packages.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Every 2 weeks for me.... as a single guy, I can go a month without having my bins emptied but when I was in a relationship, we struggled a bit, but in hindsight i'm not sure why..... so not sure, a tenner doesn't seem bad.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Our bin collections are still weekly....

Mine too :)

Black bags collected weekly (I use half size black bags and rarely fill one of these in a normal week)
    Food bin collected weekly
    Recycling also collected weekly, but alternating between different boxes each week - plastic bottles and cans collected one week, paper/cardboard the next
    Garden waste collected fortnightly (I pay extra £50 a year for this and if there's any space left I offer to take any garden waste my neighbour has)

Bins for glass and tetra paks are located in supermarket car park in nearer town

My council only collects plastic bottles so I collect any other plastic separately - the neighbouring council where my daughter lives takes all types of plastic so these go in her bin :o
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business