Cancelling Flight

Options
Hi first time here, I recently booked flight to Florida for myself & dad, he unexpectedly managed to get a medical procedure that was hinted at to be after the holiday. He took the option & there is a high probability of having to cancel. The tickets I know are probably non refundable as I booked direct with Thomas Cook & its been over 2 wks. My only bright thought was that the tickets were purchased with a Credit Card. If I have to cancel what if any are my options remembering that till now I have Never had to cancel tickets before. I remember Martin saying it might be possible through the credit card but no idea how . Replies gratefully received.

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2018 at 1:48PM
    Options
    Tholin wrote: »
    Hi first time here, I recently booked flight to Florida for myself & dad, he unexpectedly managed to get a medical procedure that was hinted at to be after the holiday. He took the option & there is a high probability of having to cancel. The tickets I know are probably non refundable as I booked direct with Thomas Cook & its been over 2 wks. My only bright thought was that the tickets were purchased with a Credit Card. If I have to cancel what if any are my options remembering that till now I have Never had to cancel tickets before. I remember Martin saying it might be possible through the credit card but no idea how . Replies gratefully received.

Claim on travel insurance? (assuming you have some and your father's medical issues were declared)
    The credit card protection is only relevant if Thomas Cook fail to provide what you purchased (eg if they were to go out of business) - not relevant in your case.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tholin wrote: »

Did you also remember Martin saying Buy Travel insurance as soon as you book a holiday?

No you cannot do a chargeback on the credit card just because your Dad decides not to travel.

If I were you I'd hang on to see if the procedure actually goes ahead on the date as these things change too.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Claiming a refund from the credit card company can sometimes be an option but only when there is a breach of contract by the company you purchased the tickets from.

Provided that you have travel insurance in place and this was either taken out before the medical condition was known about or after it was known about and the insurance company were advised of it then it may well be possible to claim on that policy.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Change the name on the ticket and go with a mate if you dont have insurance or they wont payout.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As other have said, this is NOT a section 75 claim on the credit card.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there is a 'significant' change to the flight timings then you will have a right to cancel. So hold on and see if that happens.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Why would the credit card company refund? Thomas Cook have done nothing wrong, so even if you could (which you can't) it'd be rather unfair to claim back the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure